Sunday, January 3, 2010

What I've been eating...and doing

Not the most exciting of blogs, but I really want to keep track!

On Friday, New Year's Day, I went out for the first time in a while after my bout of bronchitis, the liquid pre-op diet, and my recovery...so I was excited and nervous. One of my BF's best friends came along, and he doesn't know about the surgery, and one of my college friends was visiting from Iowa, and she did know...(they are both recently single, and ended up staying out late after BF and I went home around midnight! hee-hee!)


We started at one of our favorite casual bars, Fourth Avenue Pub, where I had a glass of wine. We then headed to an English style restaurant called Chip Shop. I ordered a child's portion of shepard's pie and a side of mushy peas - skipped a drink, nibbled about 1/4 of the portion of mashed potatoes and ground beef in gravy, a few tastes of the mushy peas, and skipped the friend mac and cheese that was an appetizer. I also had two tiny bites of fish from my friend's fish and chips order, which I ate without the crust, a dollop of tartar sauce and chewed to death! Also one chip, which is a french fry, super well chewed! We ordered one dessert for four people called Spotted Dick, which is a very dense cake with raisins and a custard spooned on top. I had about a tablespoon of the dessert, in tiny bites.

We went for a beautiful walk in a cool neighborhood called Red Hook, which is a combination of of industrial and uber-hip. There is a perfect view of the New York skyline form Brooklyn...

We went to another bar in Red Hook, Pioneer Bar, where I ordered another glass of wine as "rent", but I only took one or two sips, while we hung out and caught up. I deemed it an eminently successful evening!

Yesterday, the 2nd, I ate some more beans with another poached egg, little dollop of guac, farmer cheese, goat cheese, and a few sprinkles of Romano cheese. The cheese amounts, except for the farmer cheese (which is more of a dry cottage cheese, and has low fat content) were very small.

At BF's parents place, I had some mashed potatoes, a bit of spicy hummus, a bit of goat cheese, a teeny slice of feta, a small piece of nova lox, cut up small and mixed with the goat cheese and mashed potatoes. During the course of the afternoon and early evening, I also had two small pieces of brie cheese, a tiny piece of 85% chocolate, two teaspoons of ice cream, and a strawberry Greek yogurt.

At home, last night, I had a chocolate EAS lite shake, two more teaspoons of ice cream, half a baked potato with a little sliver of butter and a bit of farmer cheese.

This morning, another shake - although I feel like I could eat, I want to keep the calories low and the protein high!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are doing great! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All sounds good... wow, it goes so fast, and you're already out in restaurants. I cannot wait to get my band inserted and start the journey proper!! Thanks for the support on my blog and offer of info. I've already begun with the benefiber-- I put it in every shake!! So far: no 'backups' which I consider to be very good.

    Post band: I am looking forward to cooking up some good black bean soup and white bean soup, both good for protein and fiber and yummy... so I am hoping to avoid the dreaded constipation all together. We shall see.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tasty food choices! I love that you are not making certain foods "off limits" because they are too high-cal - instead going for small bites. This is what I do and it works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Gen, don't try to cheat yourself of the foods you love, just eat them in moderation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun outing - and look at you getting out there and working that food!!! Eating just a little bit is an excellent way to start things - and your tummy will tell you when to stop (hopefully.)

    Doing so well, Yana!!!

    ReplyDelete