Wednesday, January 20, 2010

First fill!

Wednesday am...
150 calories of peanut m and m's left over from Monday.
chicken and mango salad
mushroom barley soup

FIRST fill at 1 pm. My weight was lousy - I was only down 1.5 lbs on her scale from the last visit 4 weeks ago! To be fair, it was the middle of the day, I was dressed, I had eaten and drunk...but it was not a gain, so that's good.
Dr Kurian is just so lovely...I am so happy I picked her as my surgeon. She greeted me with a hug and a kiss, asked me if I was hungry, and then said, "I am gonna fill you up!"
I told her I was scared of needles and would just close my eyes. I was tilted halfway back on the table, she felt the port, didn't do any numbing shots, asked me to push out my stomach, and got the needle right in. We chatted while she pulled out the fluid and then filled me up.

Afterward, she told me I had 2.2 mL in from the beginning, and she had added 3.2 mL, for a total of 5.4, or maybe even a tiny bit more.

I drank a little cup of water, and it felt tight. Not gurgling, not painful, just tight. I asked the assistant, Dawn, if it was supposed to feel this way...she told me to drink another cup of water, which I did, slowly, and waited a few minutes. I felt fine, it all went down right away, so I made another appointment - I make them two months out, cause they book up! - and went back to work. I was at work from 8 am to 10 pm today, by the way. Yes, I do get paid by the hour, and I do get overtime, time and a half, after 40 hours a week...so! They'd sent us home early yesterday, so I was making up for lost time.

I was instructed to do 2 days of liquids and 2 days of soft food. Dr. K and the assistant both told me that ice cold beverages would not be kind, especially in the very beginning. I went back to work, starving, and stopped at the deli and got a lovely cup of tomato basil soup, which I sipped for a while.
I also had some G2 and a little bit of my favorite Vitamin Water, diluted 1:4 with regular water.
Tomorrow I want to bring in some tea that I like (they only have Lipton in the break room). Around seven I had a Myoplex Carb Control chocolate shake with a few ice cubes, which was better than I remembered it!

Just got home a little bit ago, and I'm cheating a tiny bit by having a jello snack...it's not quite liquids, but it's whipped and fluffy and I let it melt in my mouth...and eating it very slowly!

Tuesday night dinner - few slices turkey, creole mustard mixed with a teaspoon of mayo, two hearty crackers and 4 skinny ones (I know what this means and I am tired now...I'll discuss crackers another time) and a few slices of cheese - when I say slices, I don't mean like sandwich slices, but bits cut off a wedge.

9 comments:

  1. You are so lucky Yana!!

    My Surgeon told me that they are fairly aggressive with Fills, & that I would get somewhere between 3-5 cc's on the first Fill! I already had 2 cc's from Surgery, & I only received 1 cc at my first Fill!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. woohoo you are on your way now Yana...Do not be disappointed if it is not perfect restriction at first but you have something and you could feel it so you should for sure have some weight loss this time on that stupid doctors office scale :)

    I'm am excited for you! Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yana, great news that you're on the way with the fills! Is Dawn the little tiny medical assistant they have running around the office? She seems like a very kind person.
    Dr. Kurian sounds more touchy feely and time available than Dr. Ren. Dr. Ren and I have spent little time together for what she actually "did" to me, in my opinion! It could be a function of my position and the fact that I'm considered a 'colleague' of sorts... I actually am doing some project work with their office and their new WL doc, Dr. Stiles. Funny/ syncronicity.
    Anyway: good luck with the fill and I hope it works out great!!
    V

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like your Dr. is very nice, that makes such a difference, I love my Dr. as well. Although I am not due for my first fill for several weeks. I already can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great news that all went well with the fill. I hope it gives you the restriction you want. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yana sounds like your fill appointment went as well as can be expected.. let us know how that amount works for you.. I am still trying to figure out how my second fill feels.. I can't say I feel tight, but also don't feel hungry, so maybe it is just right..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great newws on the fill!!!! I hope this brings you restriction

    ReplyDelete
  8. My first fill is next week! I can't wait to get this started. I have zero in my band and don't know how much he will put in the first time. They are pretty conservative at his office. Hopefully enough to give me some restriction for at least a month. I am getting frustrated not losing anything. Good luck Yana,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good amount for a first fill! This should really help!

    I remember the days of doing endless document review! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete