I'm skipping the 'let's not call them resolutions, let's call them something better so we don't stress ourselves out' bit. It's completely valid, but you all have pointed it it, so I will just call them resolutions and let them be intentions, goals, etc. ;)
I like to do like Tina, and break my life down into categories that need attention...mine are usually Body, Mind, and Finances.
Body...
Well, I don't have to resolve to lose weight, cause I know that will happen.
I will make and go to my monthly appointments.
I will drink more water.
I will find and take suitable supplements. I have the biotin and calcium, but I need to find a new Multi. I also want to consult with my naturapath about supplements.
I will make sure I get enough protein.
I will source, buy, and use Nioxin hair products to prevent hair loss! Money is quite tight now, but hair loss is AAAHHHHH!
I will exercise! I've given myself the first two weeks post surgery off...as of tomorrow, I will insist on 30 minutes of moving my body five days a week for the next four weeks, and at six weeks I will evaluate incorporating new exercise - classes, weights, etc. I need to find something I can do while the weather is freezing cold! This is why I might join the Y.
I will try Bikram yoga once I hit 217 lbs...it seems arbitrary, but I remember feeling great and limber at this weight, and I know Bikram is pretty intense. For those of you who have read :she shrinks: you know about the magic of Bikram! This is only 40 lbs away...that seems pretty doable!!!
I will go to Salsa dance classes once I am at 230 lbs. Less than 30 lbs away!
And some things not related to WLS...
I will see an allergist to determine if I am allergic to certain antibiotics as I suspect or anything else.
I will continue to try to resolve the dry skin and flakiness on my face and hairline...I have heard this is connected to PCOS and being very overweight, so I am curious to see if it resolves with weight loss, but in the meanwhile, I need to address it, as it looks terrible!
I will continue in some more laser hair removal by finding a new provider I like and putting aside the funds to do it.
MIND
I will continue to treasure and love my amazing BF. He is truly someone I admire, respect, love, and adore. I need to remember to make him feel that way.
I will be a better daughter by making the little phone calls that mean a lot to my parents. I will visit them more and invite them to more activities that we can do together, like museums, concerts, walking tours when the weather is nicer, etc.
I will also be a better family member by taking more of an active role in reaching out to some of my older family members. I keep meaning to do this, but find excuses...so I want to try to do this once a month. I am thinking specifically of my grandfather and my great aunt and great uncle.
I will alleviate stress by completing long overdue projects for my former job.
I will be a better friend by making and keeping plans with local friends (I realize that this is WLS surgery related - at my highest weight, I was letting that stop me because I didn't feel good about myself, I didn't have clothes that I felt good in, and I didn't want to travel on public transportation more than necessary because I hated climbing subway stairs and switching trains. How horrible to admit, but how good it feels to know this is ending!)
I will be a better friend by keeping in touch with friends far away through emails, letters, phone calls, and possibly visits!
I will nurture my spirit by exploring things like meditation and mindfulness. I will also continue my search for a synagogue or minyan that I want to become a part of. BF isn't so into this, so it is something I have to do on my own, although he has agreed that he would be OK becoming part of this once we have little kids. I'm not a particularly religious person in the traditional sense, but I do love the heritage and history that connects me to Judaism, and I think it is important to know about where I come from.
FINANCES (and job related things)
I will pay off my consumer loans by the end of 2010.
I will pay off the money I have borrowed from my parents in the past few years. My goal is to pay off $10,000.00.
I will save $10,000.00 toward purchasing a home in 2010.
I will fully launch my gluten-free consulting service in 2010.
I will actively move forward in soliciting clients for my law practice instead of letting clients find me through referrals.
I will add to this list as I move forward and check in periodically through the year!


excellent post. a lot of food (or lack of) for thought...
ReplyDeletei am also synagogue shopping...
Yana,
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing how much losing weight helps you reach other "resolutions". It will seem like forever until your first fill, and you will learn alot about yourself and your relationship with food during this first month. Your list seems more like lifetime goals to me, but you are obviously smart and ambitious, so just remember to give yourself credit for the things you do accomplish. Good luck and I'm looking forward to your updates this month!
Lara
I love the goal regarding your parents. Mine are gone now and I wish I still had the opportunity to pick up the phone and call them!
ReplyDeleteGreat goals ~ Happy 2010!! ;-)
ReplyDelete