First, my silly NSV...I am intimately familiar with the subway stop at West 4th Street. When I take the train from my house, I have to go up two flights of stairs, then up a ramp, then up another flight of stairs to get to the street. I have done it probably hundreds of times. I could do it with my eyes closed.
So today, how did I get lost? I walked up a flight of stairs and didn't recognize where I was supposed to be! What was going on? Did I have a stroke? Was I in an alternative universe? Maybe...I didn't recognize where I was because I had already gone up two flights of stairs...it was just so much easier for me, that I didn't realize it!!! I'm used to huffing and puffing and...nothing! I'm used to searching for the escalator or elevator, but now I remind myself that I don't have to! It's awesome!
So spending the whole day out of the house is very different in terms of having to plan my food, etc.
So today, how did I get lost? I walked up a flight of stairs and didn't recognize where I was supposed to be! What was going on? Did I have a stroke? Was I in an alternative universe? Maybe...I didn't recognize where I was because I had already gone up two flights of stairs...it was just so much easier for me, that I didn't realize it!!! I'm used to huffing and puffing and...nothing! I'm used to searching for the escalator or elevator, but now I remind myself that I don't have to! It's awesome!
So spending the whole day out of the house is very different in terms of having to plan my food, etc.
When I am at home, if there is no bad food (I know, we are not supposed to categorize food good or bad, but let's consider it shorthand for food that is bad to eat often vs. food that is good to eat often...;)!) then I eat good food. And we don't bring bad food home, so...
But when I am out, I have to plan and prepare and carry it in AND make the choice to eat what I have brought instead of food from the many delicious places all around...and I do mean delicious...I am working in the West Village and there are so many yummy spots.
Today for example...I indulged. Partially planned and partially not...I had planned my food today, and brought it with me:
Breakfast was Honey wheat English muffin,two eggs, a handful baby spinach,cooking spray
morning snack - activia yogurt, two pecan halves, and five cranberries
late morning snack - a mini pear and string cheese - I was hungry today!
late late morning snack - an ounce or two of farmer cheese - think dry cottage cheese
planned...
These have been left in the fridge at work for breakfast and lunch before my fill at 1 pm.
Anyway, we got sent home early cause the server with all out documents was down and I had been curious about a little shop I had seen on my way to the office called Sweet Revenge. Whatever you do, the next time you are in the West Village, don't go there. Just don't do it. I had one of the best cupcakes of my life! I had the Fleur de Sel (a chocolate cupcake with salted caramel center and salted caramel butter cream topped with pecans)and it was one of the best things I've had, period! I love the combo of salt, caramel, and chocolate.
But it was conscious eating...I bought it, put it in my bag, and brought it home to savor on my couch while catching up on blogs.
I also (hangs her head) had two slices of pizza at Famous Ray's by the West 4th subway stop...they were awesome, and I was thinking about pizza for a while...I also won't be eating it after my fill! They weren't too ginourmous or greasy, and I didn't have any toppings. Still, that's probably 800 calories for the pizza, plus let's say 500 for the cupcake...that's a day's worth, right there...plus my breakfast and snacks, and I will probably need a little something for dinner. Grrr. And tomorrow is my first fill and a weigh-in at the Dr's office...I'll try to drink some water and eat very lightly later, maybe just some turkey or a yogurt.
GYM! I signed up at the gym next door to work. It is NYSC, and they have no initiation fee. I got the membership so that you can use any club in NY, for an extra twelve dollars a month. This way I can use the one close to home, the one at work, and even one my my mom's place if I am out there. I also got a package of 4 training sessions for twenty bucks! I met with the trainer, and I told him about my surgery, and that I was trying to get into exercising slowly. I told him that I knew I was going to lose weight, due to my surgery, but I wanted to become a healthier person! That felt really good to say. I also told him that I wanted to try and come in every day for al least 30 minutes, but not spend 1.5 hours every day. He seemed really nice. I have my fill tomorrow, and I set up our first appointment for Friday, before work.
Monday food: (I brought a few snacks, but supplemented and went out to lunch and dinner with a friend.)
1 activia yogurt
Thai: small veggie spring roll w/spring roll sauce, mini salad with small blob of peanut dressing
stir fried shrimp with peppers, onions, bamboo shoots, and basil over brown rice (didn't finish the rice)
square Giardelli chocolate w raspberry filling - 70 calories
cheese stick
small bag pretzels, 150 calories
1/2 bag peanut m&m's, 125 calories and 2 g protein!
one california roll with avacado and crab
half spicey tuna roll
one piece bass sashimi
half a small serving of Grom gelato, candied chestnut flavor


I am going to need one of those cupcakes mailed to CO!! I am a sweet fiend and it has been the hardest thing for me to avoid.
ReplyDeleteGood luck at your fill this week!!!
I nearly forgot - your NSV is totally not silly. It's awesome!
ReplyDeleteI agree with TracyZ! But that cupcake does sound delish. Good luck with the Fill tomorrow!! Hope your Fill gives you better restriction than mine did.
ReplyDeleteGreat NSV!!
i am a baking nut, so that cupcake sounds delicious. i actually made cupcakes and put them in mason jars to mail out for Christmas to friends and family. damn, baking will never be as fun anymore. lol.
ReplyDeleteAny NSV is a good NSV!! What's even better is when you don't realize it happening!!! Way to go on the no huffing and puffing on the stairs! I try to climb up our 3 here at work every day and I don't think I'll ever not huff and puff!!!
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your fill!!
I have been craving a cupcake for a week. That one sounds... well worth the calories, frankly. (Although this is like one heroin junkie telling another one, "Go ahead, it'll feel so gooooood.")
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the NSV. It's amazing the ways our lives improve, both big and small, as we make progress down the scale.
Dont let choosing something sweet make you feel bad. We are not on a diet. This is a lifetime change that can sometimes include sweets and pizza even! Eventually your band might eliminate foods from the list that you can keep down. I have had to give up hamburgers but I can eat a very small piece of pizza or a small piece of cake. I cannot eat them everyday because they put a dent in the room I have for protein but I can and do have them. You might not be able to eat pizza or something else as you will eventually find out when those fills start kicking in.
ReplyDeleteI remember climbing those sets of stairs at subway stations!! There were times when I chose to walk overland between stops just to avoid the stairs! It is awesome that you climbed two and thought you had climbed one. Way to go!!
Tina
I will be searching for a recipe to make a duplicate of that cupcake as soon as I get done writing this post. I had pizza before restriction because I didn't know if I would be able to eat it after...you will feel better after your fill. It might not help much but it will help keep the hungry away! Great NSV by the way, love it!!
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your appointment and your fill-- I will be thinking about you!!
ReplyDeletevanessa
That is a killer NSV!!!!
ReplyDeleteCool on the gym membership as well.
that cupcake is killing me...must have cupcake
mmmmmmmmmmmm...........orgasmic cupcakes. :p~ I can't eat them cuz they get stuck, but they sure fun to look at.
ReplyDelete