258.5 lbs this am, three weeks after being fitted with a lap-band. Not awesome, but not terrible. I will say that wasn't the first weight I had today, but after drinking some water and going to the bathroom a few times, I hit this number, and I am taking it! Two lbs above my lowest weight ever. One week to a fill...my doc does it 4 weeks after surgery.
I was advanced to mushy food early, and I started eating regular food a few days early as well, as long as they were something I could mush with a fork. I've been on regular regular foods for a few days now.
I've gotten stuck a few times...the first was when I just started mushies, and I had some onion soup broth with a little mozzarella cheese, which got gloppy. That was the worse stuck I've had...it lasted for hours and I still felt it the next day. I also got momentarily stuck on a piece of chicken breast and potato skin (I was eating fsat) and on a piece of chicken breast and broccoli. That one came up in a PB, and I saw that I hadn't chewed the broccoli enough. Being stuck sucks, cause I panic. The PB was much easier than I thought it would be. That being said, my goal is to avoid these experiences as much as possible.
Lessons learned: chew really well, avoid gloppy cheese, slow the f*ck down!
What can I eat? Just about anything, really. I haven't had steak, but I've had ground meat. I've had chicken (I much prefer white meat to dark. Usually is it ok, unless I eat it too fast or there is nothing saucy with it), fish...haven't had shrimp yet. Had a bagel, but pulled out the bready inside and toasted it dry. Had some Chinese food and rice, and that was fine, except I overate, because that's what I do with Chinese food. The leftovers were not so good, cause the chicken got dry, but when it was first delivered it was juicy and went down a treat! Most of the time I am eating smaller than average portions. When I ate a bagel and lox, I felt like it was too much. Eating 2/3 of an order of Chinese food was too much. I saw too much not because I was in pain, I wasn't. I didn't have any issues with being stuck or PBing or anything like that. I just felt uncomfortable, stuffed, and that I would have been satisfied with much less, had I just chosen to eat less. Which is what I need to work on. This is really the biggest badness of bandster hell for me. I assume that with some restriction I won't be able to do this anymore before I fell pain, and learn to stop.
BAD MONKEY
1. Dehydrated! I am super dehydrated. I can feel it in my skin, and I can see it in the color of my urine...TMI, but check the color of your urine when you go to the bathroom. It should be almost clear. Dark color means you are not drinking enough water! (Learned this as a summer camp counselor!) I know this is because I am scared to drink before or after I eat, and since I am eating small amounts through the day as I get hungry, I limit my opportunity for water intake. It's because I work from home that I do this.
SOLUTION: Well, if I get a contract gig (I didn't get the one I interviewed for last week, but I am very actively seeking more) I will be in a structured environment where I can't eat all day,so I will be able to drink water all day. If I can do that for a couple of months, that would be great, and I will have reset my habits.
If not, I have decided that when I get up I will start drinking water for a while, and delay my breakfast as long as I can. During that time, I will drink water. I will also try to cut down on the snacky meals and eat something a bit more substantial so that I have more periods of water drinking int he afternoon and evening.
2. Supplements. I got em. I just have to take them. Must take them!!! Maybe I will put an alarm on my phone? Jen was nice enough to send me some vitamins that she didn't like, and they are tolerable, especially when chased with some water! :) Thanks, Jen!
3. Exercise...I did not meet my goal of exercising 5 out of seven days last week. I did 4, which is better than none. I will aim to do 5 out of 7 again.


"slow the f*ck down!" - this is my number 1 problem!!! I still eat like it's my last meal! It's hard to get used to chewing slowly and putting your fork down, yada, yada, yada.. I need to get better on my supplements too. I'm still chewing on Fred and Wilma every day.. not sure if they are the best or not. I haven't tried a bagel but now that you mention it, I'd bet I'd be able to handle it without the insides.. bread has not been my friend.
ReplyDeleteGood job on the weight loss!!
You know what I want to do one day...but it may be a bit crazy...and I would have to fast for 24 hours AND be up the whole time, but I want to weigh myself every hour for 24 hours and record it...Just to see the flucuation and find when my lowest hour of the day is. Is that crazy? But on the weekends, my scale is nicer to me bc I weigh around 9:30am instead of 6:30 am...and I swear it is always lower! lol
ReplyDeleteYana, your honesty about what you're eating and the challenges you're facing will serve you well. It seems that most people have run into these challenges in one form or another since banding, so just keep going and you will soar!
ReplyDeleteMy comments always seem to be way too long but I totally identify with your posts!!
ReplyDeleteI too will get on and off the scale during the morning while I am getting ready to see if doing something like blow-drying my hair has burned enough calories to drop a few more ounces off the number. Most mornings I can drop like .2 pounds before I head out the door and I always record that number ;)
I work part time from home and part time in the office. Days in the office are a total breeze. I have people to distract me from food and I can only eat what I bring (I leave all forms of payment at my house so I am not tempted to stop anywhere for anything extra I didn't pack in my lunch bag).
When I work from home I have found that the whole day turns into constant torture, especially since I have no restriction yet. What has worked for me is to plan out exactly what time I am going to eat and what I am going to eat all day first thing in the morning just as though I am going to the office. Whenever I get tempted to eat something I am not supposed to or didn't plan for, I get up and go outside. Even if I just walk around the block. Usually when I get back I am more thirsty than hungry and everything kind of works itself out.
Maybe you could try and find something to do to get away from the temptation that works for you (going around the block obviously won't work for everybody) and give your brain a chance to talk your tummy out of needing more food.
Every day that passes we get one day closer to restriction. I am actually looking forward to it more than any birthday and almost as much as I did my wedding!!
I weigh right after going to the bathroom in the morning and then try and wait 15-30 minutes and weigh again. Always lower - that's the weight I track each day. I still haven't tried chinese food because I like the bad stuff "General Tsao's" and know that I'll eat too much, retain water and likely get stuck. I waited until my bday so almost 5 months to eat steak. It was worth the wait because I had taught myself to chew chew chew and had learned what my stopping point was. I think that was important to my ability to keep it down and enjoy it. Good luck lady! So excited your fill is coming up.
ReplyDeleteHi Yana you are doing amazingly well for where you are in the process. I got to have food quickly after my surgery too. Things went fairly OK like you seem to be doing as well.
ReplyDeleteThe fills will help you eat less so don't beat yourself up too much over eating. Try to do your best and that is all you can do.
I, like you, still struggle to get my vitamins, water and exercise in. I have learned to not beat myself up about it but to just look forward to doing better tomorrow.
You're in that wonderful stage (NOT!!) of Bandster hell, where you are healing so don't stress too much about the weight thing. Some of us are lucky (and I hope you are too!) and lose during this time - usually not much but maybe a touch - so if that happens yay.. but really, you seem to be doing so well. Congrats
ReplyDelete