Lunch...I think I have to stop reading while I eat...cause I took a library book with me into the cafe at Fairway...they have one of my favorite meals in the world, an onion bagel with cream cheese and nova lox (smoked salmon)...I had them scoop out the center of my bagel, toast it, light cream cheese, and then diced up the smoked salmon and piled it back on... tomato, red onion, and a squeeze of lemon...I nibbled and read and nibbled and read...and ate that whole bagel and a hanful of potato chips and 4 cherry tomatoes and a pickle...how? Cause I was reading!!!
I read more than most people. BF is constantly amazed by hoe much I read. I need to really think about this...I've actually talked to a therapist for a while and we talked about how I deal with stress by focusing on other things...like reading, watching movies, and eating!!! My drug of choice is reading and eating at the same time. When I was younger, I had a very hard time socializing with other kids, so I would read a book at lunch instead of hanging out with the other kids. I used to go to the library to spend the day and sneak in food and eat it while I read for hours and hours. It's still one of my favorite things to do, and I need to seriously think about this!
I will say that I was very full, and I finished my grocery shopping (the Cafe at Fairway is inside a gourmet supermarket, and the food is GOOOOOOD - like lobster rolls, etc.) without getting any unplanned treats, which is not what I usually do!


I have the same bad habit, ate more of my lunch today because I was reading a book as well. I have to make myself put them down and focus on eating..
ReplyDeleteTaking a book or magazine to a restaurant has been my biggest downfall as an adult with food. It's my method of relaxing, getting away from the kid chaos. Totally understand where you're coming from. Also, I am totally psyched that I may not have to give up bagels with lox forever. ;)
ReplyDeleteOooh same bad habit here - I read AND watch TV.. I read AND play a computer game... I read AND cook the dinner.. lol silly huh.. but think how well read we are. That's got to count for something!!
ReplyDeleteI have that habit too...
ReplyDeleteI love reading too... I wish I spent more time doing it! Usually my best reads come when I get to go on vacation these days... I read several books over the course of a few days!
ReplyDeletePS- I got the vitamins out in the mail today. You should get them in 2-3 days. :)
I love reading but seriously I cannot do it anymore while i eat. If i do not concentrate on chewing I will get stuck and then heave for the next hour. It is much better to eat mindfully and then read mindfully. I figure I waste a bunch of reading time hunched over my garbage disposal for an hour...better to let the old band have its way for the 15 minutes it takes to eat my measly little 1/2 cup of food.
ReplyDeleteVery interesting object lesson in 'mindful' vs. 'mindless' eating. It is one of those habits that won't serve you well... but maybe make a switch and since you are such a flavor and food lover-- consider eating as a form of 'reading / meditation.'' Read the FLAVORS of the foods as you eat them and enjoy them, savor each bite-- you cannot do this if you read at the same time as you eat.
ReplyDeleteJust some thoughts-- sounds like you are coming along nicely and I am glad to see you recovering so well as I need to have the hope of feeling much better soon...
I read a lot too and it boggles Tracey's mind! He has never read a book in his adult life...can you believe that? For me, reading a magazine or watching tv while I eat actually slows down my eating. If I am eating a table away from distractions I actually tend to eat faster!
ReplyDeletei am a reader. i am in two book clubs. one thing i have changed is that i no longer allow myself to read at the table or in bed (unless it is sleepy time). i now have to read on the sofa. and no eating!
ReplyDeletelove you new pic!