1. It was delicious
2. While I ate the whole thing, scooped out, to be fair, but still the whole thing.
3. I was quite full, almost uncomfortably but nothing painful. HOWEVER! I would have been just as satisfied with eating half of the bagel, and I need to learn to do something like that.
4. I need to learn calories. Since I have only ever had success on low-carb diets, I don't have a good idea of how many calories are in different foods. So, bagels and lox...here is a great link that talks about it, and some excerpts below
Supermarket bagels are smaller and, as a result, typically lower in calories. A Lender's plain bagel has 160 calories, but it's only 2 ounces, whereas typical coffeehouse and bagel store bagels are about 4 ounces. A plain Dunkin' Donuts bagel with nothing on it is 330 calories; an Einstein Bros. plain bagel is 260 calories; and a Starbucks plain bagel is 300 calories. And at non-chain bagel stores, all bets are off. Those bagels often weigh up to 6 ounces, which means they probably have 480 to 500 calories to start with, and that's not counting the more generous amounts of high-calorie toppings.My bagel was probably on the larger side, but I did scoop it out, so I am going to go with 250 calories.
1 tablespoon of cream cheese is 50 calories. Let's say 4 tablespoons for 200 calories.
Lox or Nova Scotia salmon (3 ounces is 100 calories)and I think there was a bit more there, so give it 150
That's a total of 500 calories...that doesn't seem quite so bad...and if I had managed to split it with BF or just leave half for later, that would be totally doable!
The upshot was that I stayed super full for a long time. I ate around 1pm, had a Jello sugar free pudding for a snack at 5pm which I was craving, but not at all hungry for, ditto the cheese I nibbled at 7.30 pm, and had my dinner at 8.30 - a small serving of sauteed spinach with a dash of cream and Parmesan cheese and a piece of sole wrapped around crabmeat with a little white wine and yogurt. I left half the fish and some of the spinach. I did have an orange and another sliver of cheese around 10 pm.
Today I had a boiled egg for breakfast and a sliver of cheese, 120 calories, and at noon I ate a fillet of salmon broiled with Soy-Vay teriyaki sauce 350 calories, and Jello sugar free pudding for 70 calories. Soy-Vay is super delicious and I highly recommend it! It's available at Trader Joe's and a lot of other markets. Funny enough, I weighed in at 258 today, half a lbs less than yesterday...
Met a friend at two, sipped some water, and decided to get a veggie tempeh reuben with one slice of swiss cheese. Ate one half at three pm, and just ate the other half at seven pm. Based on the Daily Plate, that seems to be about 500 calories, spread between two meals, so total is 1040...I get a snack later tonight and stay at 1200 calories! Yay, me! Oh, wait, had a drinkable yogurt for 90 calories, so snack gets smaller...I will be ok with an orange, I think!


Nice loss! And, weight loss IS the point. You'll figure out your appropriate portion sizes, and get a general idea of your calorie consumption (even if you're not COUNTING calories) soon enough. It's a really odd learning curve for whatever reason, maybe because it's "forced" by the band.
ReplyDeleteLara
I don't like fish all that much but your post has me craving something from the water! :) I want to come over for dinner!
ReplyDeleteI discovered that SoyVay teriyaki about 8 years ago, and I could still swig it straight from the bottle. YUMMO!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you are doing so well with this - it's about moderation not deprivation, and it sounds like you are walking the line just fine.
Amy
lol Love the way we suddenly go - OH, hang on, I DID have something else to eat so now I get less calories... been there, done that.
ReplyDeleteI like the 'scooping out' idea of the bagel. I didn't think of doing that and since what we eat needs to be crunchy.. next time I eat one, I'm doing that.
Wait for restriction--it will come with time and that bagel will be history. I would be lucky right now to get a bite down. You will have to switch the fairly low calorie lox onto a melba toast or cracker my girl.
ReplyDeleteI love love love love New York bagels. My favorite is poppy seed with cream cheese from the street vendors with an ice cold diet coke from the cooler....yumm mouth watering just to remember it. The last time I managed just a bite of one (thank Goodness my mother was there to eat the rest) was a year ago in October. If I came to New York tomorrow I would buy one..take my bite and throw the rest away just to live that flavor again.
Now...you might keep losing on looser restriction than I have to deal with but the main point is...this band will help you as you get better restriction so don't stress too much now.