I marched down to talk to the manager yesterday, and when I started telling him the story, he didn't seem too interested. However, when I pulled out the text message, he was all ears! He called in the head of training, they were very appologetic, and told me it was completely inappropriate. The manager offered me some personal training sessions with another trainer.
I got a text message "apology" that said "everyone deserves a second change. I will offer you 5 free sessions"...not a real apology, but whatever. I told him I accepted his apology, but I wasn't interested in working with him. I emailed the manager and he replied that he was giving me 5 free personal training sessions with another trainer.
Thanks for your advice. I'm going to let it die now...part of me wants this guy fired, but I'm sure his managers will take care of the situation. And I don't want to cause a big stink in the gym where I work out everyday. I'll only be on this project for another few weeks, and then I will go to another gym. I think I might even wait to use my personal training sessions at the other gym, so Corey doesn't have a chance to bad mouth me to the other trainers - I did bring this up as a concern with the manager, and he tried to assure me that wouldn't happen, but...
I actually almost lost my cool when I was talking to the manager. I outlined everything, and then he sat back and asked me if I was ok. And I almost cried! I didn't, at all, but I got very emotional. I told him that I had shared personal information with Corey because it affected my limitations and motivations, and I felt really betrayed. Not sure if that really made a lot of impact, but it was important for me to say it.
On the eating front, I had a very weird day yesteday...I was completely not interested in the food I had brought from home, so I left it in the fridge. I had breakfast from the (very nice, new) deli downstairs, 2 eggs with tomatoes and swiss cheese on a hollowed out, toasted multigrain roll. I had that at 8.30 and was TOTALLY full. Wasn't thinking about food, wasn't looking for snacks...I got hungry around 2.30, and I went back downstairs and got a "plate" from the deli. It was chicken cutlet in tomato sauce, broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots with garlic and oil, and some rice pilaf. It was a big portion, and my initial plan was to eat half and leave half for dinner, but I ended up chewing slowly and eating the whole thing...felt like I overdid it a bit. But here's the thing...I ate this at 3 pm. I went to the gym at 7.30 for a pilates class. I worked until 10 pm, got home at 10.45...and I didn't eat another thing except for a 60 cal. Jello dessert thingy! Is this what restriction feels like, except eating smaller amounts? I think I probably ate about the same number of calories as I usually do, but was much more satisfied and not looking for food all the time. My late lunch needed to be toned down a bit, but maybe I should eat bigger meals than I have been so as not to be constantly looking for food.


How unfortunate...what a weirdo, tho, I mean really! Well, I'm glad the manager was understanding..
ReplyDeleteI hate it that you had a bad trainer experience. This guys sounds like he was beyond out of line. I am glad you've decided not to give up on it though because once you find someone you can really trust and who will really help you, it can really make a difference in your workouts.
ReplyDeleteThe point is for a trainer to teach you various exercises on the machines and with free weights to maximize your time at the gym. So asking your trainer to help you figure out a good workout routine is definitely within the bounds of reasonable expectations.
About the food - I actually found myself grazing a little too much and I decided that I wasn't eating enough at each meal. Stepping up and eating about a cup at each mealtime has helped keep me fuller longer. I am not so desperate by the time the next meal comes along. The dietitian that leads our support group stresses that you should only eat three times a day with NO snacking. Her suggested method is to eat for 30 minutes and stop. So if you can eat a little more in that timeframe and it will help keep you from snacking or being hungry, I think it makes sense.
Yep, that's restriction...the 'trick' is to keep testing things and see how LITTLE you can eat without being hungry between meals.
ReplyDeleteHey, I think I mentioned trying larger meals a while ago to you. :) So kudos to me! HAHA Just teasing, although I am glad it's working. I find that I do better if I get myself full instead of leaving me shy of full, because then I start trolling for snacks! Kudos to you!
ReplyDeleteYES! Yana I'm so happy for you, what a breakthrough. That is what the band is all about -finding fullness at meals and trying to stave off snacking between them. I still struggle to not graze, but when I let the band do it's job by filling up my little tummy and moving on until it's grumbly, this thing really works!
ReplyDeleteOn the gym front, I am impressed with the clubs reaction, from a customer service perspective the way your former trainer acted would be a fire-able offense at my place of work. Do use those free PT sessions somewhere, and find a trainer you LOVE- I love my Julie and that's made such a difference.
Great news on both fronts Yana. I am glad you got some free sessions and that the little bully will get what is coming to him. He probably thought he could bully you into buying more sessions....ha ha to him!!!!
ReplyDelete