Monday, February 22, 2010

Lazy Sunday

Well, I got on the scale Sunday morning and found my weight was 248 lbs, no matter what foot I stepped on with first!

Eric and I were both exhausted, so even though it was sunny outside, we ended up having a very lazy Sunday with a Mad Men marathon.

Breakfast was a small portion of yesterday's delicious soup, with a poached egg and a sprinkle of chopped Parmesan.
Greek yogurt with a teaspoon of strawberry preserves.
Late lunch and dinner were the same: Lamb meatballs and mashed potatoes.
I served myself a tiny portion for lunch and went back for seconds. Formed the cold mashed potatoes into patties and pan fried them for dinner with more lamb meathballs.
Finished the day off with two cups of sugarfree jello.

Here's the recipe:
Mix together the following:
1 lb ground lamb, the leaner the better - lamb is pretty juicy, but I thought this was good for mushies, so it wouldn't be dry
1 onion, chopped finely or 3 scallions, chopped finely - if you can grind this along with the lamb, that is ideal, but if you don't grind your own meat, then just use a mini chopped to get the onion as small as possible or really get to work with your knife.
1 egg
3 Tablespoons bread crumbs
Large pinch kosher salt,
Good pinch fresh ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (I think powder is better than fresh in this recipe)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
3/4 teaspoon cumin

Put this aside for a few minutes and let it sit and the flavors meld. Then use a heavy pan with a thin film of olive oil over medium high heat to pan fry small patties of lamb. Brown them on both sides, and be careful not to overcook. Takes only about 5 minutes, or a little more depending on size. Before removing from the pan, commit the cardinal sin of cooking hamburgers and press them with a spatula - this releases some of the fat in the patties, and as lamb can be very fatty, they remain quite moist afterward.
Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice over the mashed potatoes below.

Mashed potatoes
2 medium sized potatoes, peeled, quartered, and boiled
Cook in salted water until soft. Drain, mash and add 1/4 of a container of soy yogurt or soy milk (this is because I don't mix meat and dairy products in my kosher-esque cooking style - you can use regular yogurt or milk), one large clove of crushed fresh garlic, 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley or mint.

2 comments:

  1. 248 could be your lucky number!!!! It was for me...all downhill (it's where I started)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news on the scales fron t and they sound yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete