Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Could I be stuck already?

COULD IT BE?

Possible. I feel awful.

I had a cup of onion soup with a little melted mozzarella cheese. No onion bits, it was perfectly liquid, would have been fine the day after banding.

Then I started eating a perfectly pureed indian dish (the other half of yesterdays Bombay Potatoes and Chickpeas) mixed with plain Greek yogurt. I didn't even eat half of the same serving I had yesterday. After that I had chewable Gummi Vitamin C.

I felt fine...twenty minutes later I lay down and felt something super tight in my chest, my tummy gurgled, and extra saliva start to come up. Of course I panicked, scared I would hurt myself and my band. I ended up spitting a bit out, then sitting in the bathroom, where I was moved to move...;) Another BM, nothing wrong with that. I waited a while, like an hour and half. I felt better, no pressure, so I had a few sips of water. Seemed to be fine...When I laid down again, twenty minutes later, same thing...I sat up again, and for some reason, while I was typing this, it started again, a sharp pain in my chest, but I am not sure if it is the band or my esophagus, the saliva, and mild nausea/panic.

I got up (I was sitting, not lying down) and spit some into the bathroom sink. Stayed there for a few minutes, tried to breathe through it, and it has calmed down slightly, although I still have a tightness in my chest...this seems to be how a PB starts, no?

Any advice? I just want to be careful and not hurt anything. I'm thirsty but I don't want to even drink water if this will be the result!

9 comments:

  1. Yep, just yesterday I was having tomato soup with parmesan (shredded) and had a stuck moment from the cheese. In my experience, the cheese can get stuck pretty easily. Try to go extra easy on the moxz! It is a scary feeling, but it will pass if you wait it out. Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe it was the gummy vitamin? Chew those extra extra well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered if it was the gummy vitamin too. Must be something about the position, laying down. Sounds to me like something is stuck. I would just give it some time, don't eat, and as you're able, drink water very slowly. The cheese also sounds like a reasonable explanation. Whatever it is, it'll pass. The first part you described sounds like sliming. Wait it out and be patient. You won't hurt yourself. Dr. K says even if you vomit it's okay, you just don't want to be vomiting all the time or a lot.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yup you got stuck...That is good news though because it means you already have restriction and your will be off and running with your band more quickly than the rest of us who had to wait...hm for me it was 4 month before I had my first pb.

    Now remember to take it super easy after this-like liquids and not the blended food kind. You are likely to swell up a bit after a stuck episode. Give it at least a day before you dive back into the blended stuff.

    It might have been the gummy vitamin but it alsmot might have been the leftovers. For some reason no matter how runny I cannot eat leftovers anymore. They stick every time.

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the PB! I always know for sure when the saliva thingy happens. No fun, but you made it through and now the first one is done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, my first PB was last Saturday. I had extreme pain in the chest (Esophagus) area. I came close to sliming as well. I could feel some extra saliva building up, but was lucky enough to be able to swallow it down (barely), until it passed.

    At least this means that you have some restriction! Except for eating my chicken too fast & not chewing it to death, I haven't had any restriction!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have heard several people say that gummy vitamins especially in the begining. I was told to wait several months before trying them. The consistancy of them I think is the problem - like pasta or bread.

    I also had some issues toward the first month on simple foods. Now nothing bothers me. I guess I was more swollen than I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted to say, Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was having some back pain shortly after surgery (felt like pulling the band through my back) when I'd go to bed. My surgeon asked if I'd eaten or drank before bed. She said that for some bandsters eating or drinking before laying down can cause problems. Maybe you just didn't get everything down well enough before you laid down?

    ReplyDelete