I had my post-op Dr's visit today. I was banded last Tuesday, the 22nd, but the Dr. isn't in her office on Tuesdays, so they scheduled me to come in today. First I went for an esauphogram at NYU, then went up to the Dr's office. A very sweet medical assistant took my vitals - my official weight was 261.5, that's including a two lb credit for my jeans and other clothes...;) That means I am a few more pounds down from surgery. I am kinda waiting to get home to my own apartment to see what my scale says, as that's the one I used for pre-op weigh-ins, so it would give the best comparison as to how much weight I have lost. Regardless, I am almost at 20 lbs down from 280 lbs. Blood pressure was perfect.
Dr. K was running late, so the famous Gaspar came in and checked me out. I said I wouldn't mind waiting for the Dr., but he offered to review things with me as well, so he checked out the incisions, which he said were healing well, and he showed me my x-rays, so I saw my band, tube, and port. That was nifty. He told me I could advance to mushy food, and that would help with the bathroom problem - I still haven't had a bowel movement!
Dr. K. came in later, and concurred that everything was looking good and that I could move on to mushy foods. She also gave me an ok for alcohol, just told me not to overdo it. I told her I was scared of overdoing it and vomiting, and she agreed that would be bad, so I will be taking it easy, but might enjoy a glass of wine on New Year's Eve. She suggested Activia yogurt for a bowel movement, or prune juice, or liquid fiber, a laxative, milk of magnesia, etc., but told me I needed to get things moving!
INTERESTING: She told me to make an appointment three weeks from now for my first fill. She said that about 25% of her patients lose weight during these three weeks, 25% gain, and 50% maintain. She also said that she has noticed since she started quoting these statistics, her rates have been looking better, which I thought was very interesting! She is a sweetheart, and gave me a hug on her way out.
I stopped at Whole Foods on the way home for some yummy real food...For lunch, had half a baked stuffed potato and three little veggie meatballs, heated with a little stock and mushed up with a fork. I chewed like crazy. The calorie count was 260 calories for everything, and I really took my time eating it. 9 g of protein there. And another little yogurt drink after 1 hour. I requested my mom's chicken meatballs for dinner, which are super light and fluffy and will be mashed with a fork! Yum and protein rich. Also picked up plain Greek yogurt, a few soups, prepared Indian packaged foods that I can puree and the ingredients for faux lasagna: ricotta, tomato sauce, and mozzarella. And ingredients to make re-fried beans! Just have to remember my eyes are bigger than my stomach, and that I must eat slowly, with little bites, and small amounts.


Wow almost 20 pounds already?? Excellent work. And yes - eyes are often bigger than tummies - don't get caught with that one. It's one of the hardest lessons to learn.. and yet we all still do it!
ReplyDeleteFantastic weight loss so far! I am sooo jealous, my Doctor wouldn't even consider a First Fill until at least 5 1/2 weeks.
ReplyDeleteYou sound like you are doing wonderfully. Isn't moving to mushies the most exciting thing in the world! I would imagine even more so since you did the preop diet as well.
ReplyDeleteKeep up the excellent work Yana...the best is still coming but you are well on your way.
Yay for Yana!! I am so excited for you ... sounds like a great post op visit and I hope Dr. Ren is as kind and supportive. I liked her very much at my consult-- I have seen Dr. K on TV and she seems very down to earth. Ren is a bit more 'surgeon/ all business' but the kind o f person I go for b/c I am like that too (all business-- move, move, move!!)
ReplyDeleteAnyhow: I'm getting closer and cannot wait to join you!!!! Feel good and be good.
You're doing amazingly well.
Vanessa
You're doing so well! Congrats! I went to Whole Foods when I got off liquids too after the surgery and wow was that a fun shopping trip. my eyes were definitely bigger than my stomach at that point but i sure did enjoy that food.
ReplyDeleteYou are doing so well. I am happy for you! 20 lbs is awesome. You were so good pre-op too. Glad you feel well.
ReplyDeleteWow 20 already! Way to go!
ReplyDelete