Monday, December 14, 2009

Pre-op Day 7 of 14 - 13 lbs down, 13% of the way there!

3.30 pm I feel like I am hitting my pace with the pre-op diet. I weighed in this am at 267, which is ten pounds down from the beginning of pre-op, and 13 lbs down from my 280 starting point. I did the math and I calculated that 13 lbs is 10% of the way! That is great encouragement!

I started the day with a cup of tea, and have had two of my half servings of the powdered EAS shakes - that is 43 g or protein! I'm feeling peckish, so I will go in for more! Vanilla cream powdered EAS shake, with cin and banana extract! Yummy?!;) Banana extract was in a bag of baking supplies I found today. I hadn't baked anything since I moved in with BF in the beginning of July. We try to keep the house a relatively healthy food zone. My biggest problem is ordering in Chinese food! It has been since I discovered it in high school.

Chinese food is a huge issue for me. I have no idea how many calories are in it, but I love the flavors, the textures, and the feeling of getting completely stuffed on it. I will sometimes order two dishes, 4 sping rolls, and three cokes...and eat most of it over the course of an afternoon. BF will be at work, and I will go to town...and throw away the dirty secrets so he doesn't know...chicken with garlic sauce, beef with brocoli, General Tso's shrimp...and the shrimp spring rolls...extra rice, to mop up every drop of the sauce...to be fair, I've been eating less quantities recently, but still...and I've been thinking about this all week. And wishing if I had to cheat that second day, that it could have been on one of these Chinese food extravaganzas instead of my little McDonalds bout!

I think it is time to suck down the other half of my banana shake (with some rum extract was even better), and eat something salty and crunch - a pickle! Maybe tonight I will stir fry the mushrooms I bought with ginger, soy, and garlic and no oil. - Done, along with zucchini and some boiled chicken breast and chili paste - so yummy! I would have eaten it any day...or maybe I am just desperate!

I'll finish off the day with another shake, one scoop of vanilla and rum flavoring! Didn't do the shake, just wasn't hungry, but I did have half a Kashi bar...2.5 grams of fat, about 10 g of carbs (that's after you subtract the fiber), and 6 g of proteins. It was late at night, I was actually searching for an amazing acne cream I have to put on a blemish on my chin...and I found the bar in a box of toiletries I must have tossed it into when I was cleaning for company! I didn't even think about it, just opened it up and took a bite. No, that's not true, I checked to make sure it wasn't too bad on the nutrition front...

6 comments:

  1. My husband's downfall is totally Chinese food. I appreciate your honesty in talking about food too. My downfall is pizza. and sweets! BTW, did you do before pictures? You'll definitely want them right before the pre-op diet for perspective! Glad to hear it's going well.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chinese food is a huge hang up for me, I love it and have loved it for as long as I can remember. I also have had MANY secret Chinese food parties. My husband used to travel a lot for work so I would be on my own most of the week. Usually Thursday night would be the night I order in. I would eat just about everything that I ordered, which was a lot.
    There is a good chance that you will be able to eat Chinese food again once you get comfortable with the band and portion control is less of an effort and more automatic.
    I have eaten it a couple of time since being banded, but I wouldn't attempt it now since I know I need a fill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love adding stuff to my shakes. I have have used pudding mix and seasonings. My favorite right now is my Davinci sugar free syrups. I made myself a Egg Nog flavored shake tonight. It hit the spot. I will have to try using some of my extracts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yana you will be able to eat chinese food again, just not as much of it. On the pre op of liquids all you do is wish for food but stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was looking through a blog called "The World According to Eggface" and saw that she had a bunch of Asian recipes and thought of you. Not sure if you follow it, but the recipes look really good. She is a bypass person, but many of the recipes look band-friendly. Here is a link to one of the pages that lists some of her recipes http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2009/08/japanese-bento.html. These might be a great place to start once you are on solid food again. I am looking to trying a couple myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ya know Chinese food isn't bad. Some of it, like the chow mein and rice, are high in fat and carbs. But just check a nutritional thing for the restraunt, some Chinese food is good for you. So post band when you have some restriction but can still eat, you can still go for the healthier stuff. I have fried rice and orange chicken every so often, just a baby cup size. It is yum!

    ReplyDelete