Friday, December 11, 2009

I am more and more certain that I am doing the right thing!

IN OTHER NEWS...Happy Hanukkah, if you celebrate. I lit one candle in my menorah and set up BF's electric menorah in the window. I think the rest of the street is all Xmas decorations, so I gotta represent!

Going to visit my parents tomorrow, pick up BF from the airport (he was in New Orleans for a couple of days) and stopping by his folks - his mom just had a hernia operation. She reports the pain is much worse than from lap-band. I haven't found out yet if her hernia is band related. My friend Emily had one, and told me about 20% of band patients end up with them...I don't want to think about it at this point, because I am not letter anything stop me from getting this band.

It seems like a higher power has been putting really overweight people in my way, to remind me of what will happen if I don't do this...in Target there was a woman who needed an electric scooter to get around because she was so large. She was wearing pajama pants, possibly because she couldn't find any regular pants that fit. And part of her stomach was showing, the skin stretched like a sausage casing...last night, at the theater, there was a woman who could barely fit into the seat. It wasn't just uncomfortable to hug her arms in, but she had to literally wedge herself in, and I was imagining the horrid bruises she would have today...I mentioned this to my cousin, and she hadn't noticed her. I thought that was interesting, how much more conscious fat people are of other fat people...but the point I am making is that I see these people, and I see myself becoming that if I don't change what I am doing. And I couldn't change. I've been trying for years...so I have to have this band, I have to do something different...I'm thinking of some quote that I heard about doing something that you know doesn't work again and again and hoping that it does...

7 comments:

  1. As soon as I made the decision to have the surgery I stared noticing larger people everywhere. Then when I started dropping weight I had the alarming desire to tell every "fat" person I saw that they should get a band. ;-) Not that I would ever really do that, but it's such an amazing tool! I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for but the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result..... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know - I am with Jenny and you - I was always aware of bigger people when not banded but then I got the band and started to drop the weight it went one step further and suddenly I wanted to cry for those people - just like you said, those in scooters too big to get around, too big to fit in a seat comfortably - and I want to shout out to them.. 'Look at me! I'm living proof of how great this band works. Please.. get it done!' But of course I never would .. but oh, how I want them to have peace of mind like myself and feel better about themselves.

    You are doing the right thing, Yana. Don't doubt it for a second. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Hanukkah!!!! What a great Hanukkah gift you're giving yourself by getting the band! And I love how you were talking about putting out the menorah to represent!

    This was a great post! Thank you for it. I'm needing a bit of motivation myself and this helped. I totally get stuck in that rut of doing the same thing over and over and it's just NOT working for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Channukah!! Congrats on starting the pre-op diet-- I'm with ya now!! Let me look back at your blog and see how you're doing. Take one day at a time!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just started on this journey and yet I am experiencing the same thing...my heart aches for people, I hurt when I see them and want to hug them and tell them not to give up hope. Especially the young people. I always say a prayer for them and lately it seems like they are just everywhere. Enjoy the celebration of lights!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree w/ what Jenny said. I too notice them and I too want to share my progress so far w/ them. But you never know their situation and our society teaches it's giving up and being lazy to get WLS, so I just hope the best for them!

    ReplyDelete