Friday, December 25, 2009

Post-Op Wrap Up...

First of all, Merry Christmas to all who celebrate!

As for me, I've been boring, but that's ok - no news is good news, in my corner of the world.

I've been relaxing at my folks place. They run around and wait on me hand and foot...although I am making sure to get up and walk and move around.

My only two complaints are the gas pain, that has been getting better with movement, time, and Gas-X strips! And my sore throat from the anesthesia - they intubate you during the surgery and it often causes a sore throat. Treating that with hot tea with lemon and a half teaspoon of honey a few times a day.

The only other complaint is a weird pressure I randomly feel, completely independent of drinking or anything, on the bottom of my esophagus? Is this the band? I'm not sure what it is, and I'm giving myself a few days for all the gas and incision pain to go away.

Other than than that, I am doing well...the first day post op I stuck to clear liquids, tea, chicken soup, propel, G2, and at night a little tomato juice.

On Day 2 I added two little baby drinkable yogurts, lots more tea and chicken soup, about a 1/4 of a cup of a Pacific boxed veggie soup - roasted pepper and tomato, and a "mashed potato soup", where I took half of a very small baked potato, mashed it to minute particles and mixed with 3/4 of a cup of skim milk - the resulting concoction was thin enough to have through a straw, and was delicious!

Today is Day 3, and I plan on adding in Protein Shakes, at least one, if not two. Maybe some purees veggie soup as well. Jello is not really appealing to me, but I may have some. I wouldn't mind some more mashed potato soup, either! I've also been craving some kind of creamy seafood soup - I eat shellfish, but other than that I don't mix meat and dairy, as per the Jewish dietary laws. So creamy chicken soup is out for me!

It's weird, I miss food, but it feels very different from the pre-op diet. I can watch people eat stuff I love in front of me and it doesn't really bother me, where before, I was ready to snatch stuff out of their hand! What I am day dreaming of now is a piece of cheese...! Maybe I can melt some into a soup? Is that liquid? And my mom found sugar -free, low-fat ice cream, with 90 calories per half cup and 9 grams of protein, about the same nutritional info as milk, so I was thinking that might not be a bad option blended with some skim milk to get in protein.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds good, Yana! You're going to do great...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are coming along nicely. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you can get the cheese to melt down enough in your hot soup but making sure it doesn't go thick I guess that would be cool. Nothing worse than craving something and not giving in to it.
    You sound like you are doing great. Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe I missed your surgery date! I've been MIA.


    Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS! I am so so excited for you! I know you are going to totally rock the band.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Yana.. sounds like you are adapting just perfectly. I found the SF jello choco pudding to be my (just post op treat). So glad that you are feeling better and that you are on your way~~..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yana-- I didn't do anything fancy for the food journal... I just created a second blog here:
    http://dinnerland-foodjournal.blogspot.com/

    And then I linked my Blackberry via mobile and email to the blog using the settings function on blogger.
    If this is too hard to understand,let me know-- and I will give you some more details.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Yana-- to Vanessa
    (Yana, I am posting this for you on your blog, to make it a little easier for you-- you are still healing from surgery... right? And this comment deserves to be on as many blogs as possible... thank you for the comfort of your comment.)

    Hi Vanessa,

    I'm going to type this here and put it up as a post...cause it describes where I am post-op and I would have wanted to know pre-op.

    As hard as the pre-op diet is, I really haven't had the same experience post op...you are just way to scared to hurt yourself! I get nervous when I've drunk an entire cup of tea in small sips over 15 minutes instead of an hour! I'm comfortable around other people eating foods I love, which is a radical change.

    Actually, I had an interesting observation last night - my cousin came over to visit me, and we sat down in the kitchen for "tea". I come from a large Russian-Jewish family, and the idea of sitting around a table without food is unfathomable. So, during the next two hours of laughter and conversation, while I stuck to my one mug of tea with lemon and a little bit of honey, my cousin had tea along with two slices of cake, two mandarin oranges, three handfuls of cashew nuts, etc...I think my parents did the same. And I was thinking how I usually would've done the same, if not worse - would I have pulled down the chocolate covered bridge mix? Pulled out cheese and crackers? Etc...

    I was all good. I had had two protein shakes, a small drinkable yogurt, multiple cups of tea, and two potions of potato knish soup - a round knish, cut up, soaked in stocks, heated in the microwave, blended with my stick blender to a creamy consistence, and mixed with more stock to a drinkable consistency - I probably consumed about 1/3 of the large knish that way. It was delicious.

    /end

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you are doing well, on the road to recovery! Make sure and follow the eating rules to not aggrevate or irritate the band or the stitches. TAKE IT EASY!

    ReplyDelete