Hi y'all.
Thanks so much for all your well wishes...things went pretty well, and I'm here to do a little write up. I ended up having a small hiatal hernia that surgeon repaired.
Monday finished off with a total of two protein shakes, an onion and zucchini, and 1.5 cucumbers. That was the day...I think except maybe the first few days of pre-op, I never hit 1000 calories. I drank some extra water around 11.30, because I was allowed nothing by mouth from midnight on.
Insurance stuff. I had a weird feeling, so I called my insurance company to double check everything was on...the surgery was approved, but they didn't have a referral from my PCP to the surgeon, so there was a chance they wouldn't have paid for anything! I called my PCP, got them to put the electronic referral in (asked them for follow-ups as well), then called the insurance company back to make sure it was in the system. Goodness gracious...if I wasn't a paranoid lawyer, would I have remembered to make sure of this? Anyway, my co-pay was $75.00. I might get more of a bill from the surgeon or the anesthesiologist, but as of now that is my total out of pocket cost!
NYU stuff...You find out your surgery time around 6.00 pm. They call you from the hospital when they finalize their operating room schedule. They told me to be there at 7.30, so I set three alarms, spent a relaxing evening with BF, and woke up an hour early, which gave me a chance for an extra shower. I had this idea this would help fight infection, but I'm sure I was being silly.
We arrived at the hospital, checked in, and my mom showed up. We were brought back into a little room, where the nurse's aide, or rather Patient Care Tech, PCT, took my vitals. My weight, according to their scale, in my pjs, was 264.something... The nice nurse came in, we went over all my info, etc., the surgeon stopped in, I met the anesthesiologist, everyone was lovely. Then the operating room nurse came in and walked me into the Operating Room. Unlike other hospitals, where I understand they will set up your IV first and give you some meds to calm you before you get taken in to the OR, at NYU you walk in cold sober under your own steam, which is a little weird. You are invited to lie down on the operating bed, which is shaped like a cross, and they put on the inflatable booties, start the IV, etc...that was the tough part for me. I almost started crying, but then the medicine started hitting, I was breathing oxygen, and Dr. Kurian held my hand until I went under...
I woke up in recovery. I was breathing a little slowly, so they gave me some oxygen. I had a lot of pain, which I later understood was mostly gas. My mom came in to see my and rubbed my shoulders, which both hurt...I think it was a combination of the referred gas pain and just being stiff. They only let her stay a few minutes, then BF came in, and spent a little time with me. I got some anti-inflammatory meds to help with the gas, but it was pretty bad. I spent about 1.5 hours in there, with my own nurse monitoring me, then got transferred up to a floor.
It was kind of a weird floor, because they are doing some construction it was mixed with a few other bariatric patients and a bunch of others. I was surprised because NYU seemed to be a big deal for WLS, but maybe it being a few days before surgery made a difference. The staff was nice but rather unattentive. I had to remind them that I could have liquids at 4, that I needed pain medication, that I needed one of the breathing things, that I had voided my bladder and they needed to measure it (the gave me a thing you put in the toilet to catch your urine),
I was up walking pretty soon. The gas pains were really bad, so I kept walking to try and help pass it, without a lot of success. Morphine helped with the incision pain, but not the gas. I got some more anti-inflammatory for the gas pain, but it didn't help much. I help walking, drank some sips of Propel, two little cups of broth, half a cup of tea...the gas was bad. Two residents that were both younger than me stopped by and told me I could stay overnight or go home, so I chose to go home, as I thought I would be more comfortable. The nurse gave me two crushed up Percocets which helped more than anything else had and discharged me...
Small sips
Clear liquids for the first day or two
Take off my top bandages two days later, leave the steri-strips to fall off or be removed by the Dr.
Liquids for 10 days
Mushy foods for 10 days
Then real food by day 21!
Esophogram and post-op consult with the surgeon in seven days - made my appointments today for next Monday the 28th.
BF drove me and mom back to my parents house, where we will be staying for the next few days. It's just more spacious and my mom will be working from home today, and my daddy tomorrow so they can take care of me! I got home, had a Popsicle, still had a lot of gas pain that I was unable to pass, so I took my Lortab, which is liquid Vicodin, and went to bed...
I slept very comfortably, woke up a few times but went back to sleep. Got up this morning, had another Popsicle, some tea, and two half cups of mama's chicken soup, the best! Been walking around the house and taking deep breaths. My through it a bit sore from the anesthesia tube, the gas is still bothering me, although it is getting better, and my incisions hurt when the meds wear off...I've been taking the Lortab, but in smaller doses. Not a lot of peeing, so I definitely need to drink more, and no pooping at all yet - but I haven't eaten food in days, what am I supposed to be pooping?
So, this long entry, then back to the couch for light reading and vapid tv viewing! Will not be weighing myself will I get home or back to the dr, as it will serve no purpose!
ADVICE PLEASE!
I am on liquids. So boring! And I am actually hungry! I have Propel, G2, chicken soup...what else? I move past clear liquids tomorrow, so very thin soups, protein shakes (Myoplex light), and I was debating getting some light ice-cream and making a thin milkshake with skim milk...?


Congrats! I've been stalking blogger all day for your post. Sounds like you are doing well.
ReplyDeleteLet's see - poop - um, I think it was 4 or 5 days for me. No worries there...
My full liquids phase was protein shakes, creamy (no chunk) soups, sugar-free pudding, and sugar-free yogurt. Hope that helps!
Welcome to the land of the band!
Amy
Welcome to the other side.....you are in Band Land now. Welcome to the losers bench. Good luck with your recovery. Make sure you keep walking, it will help with the gas pains. I took the Gas X strips, they seemed to help a lot.
ReplyDeleteSame with Amy as for the poop thing, I think it was 3 or 4 days. I actually took danactive, which helped me go.
Congrats to you. Have a Merry Christmas!
Tamara
Welcome! I am so glad everything went well. My hospital was the same way - I walked myself right into the OR and got on the table. Unlike you, I did cry, but I have never had surgery before so I was already crying on and off! As for the liquids, I don't have much advice - I was only allowed to have clear liquids for two weeks and three shakes with skim plus a day. I can't stand the smell of chicken broth so i basically had sugar free ice pops and water. At the end of the two weeks I did try miso soup and wonton soup broth - but be careful of the sodium if you eat those often.
ReplyDeletePoopy Talk - it took me a while to have a good bm, almost two weeks. TMI WARNING!! When I finally could go it took me a couple of days to complete it because it was soooo painful. I would suggest taking a softener if you don't go within the first week.
On that lovely note, keep us posted on your progress. Remember that the beginning is difficult, but you are lucky to have a BF who has gone through this. He will help you out!
#1 - DEFINITELY take a stool softner. I didn't do this after my surgery and regretted it. The vicoden really binds you up. Get some liquid colace or something and start taking it now.
ReplyDelete#2 - I wouldn't do ice cream. It has zero nutritional value and that's what you need to focus on right now. I drank alot of tomato soup which was so yummy after the liquid diet. Keep doing the protein shakes because it will help get the protein that you need right now.
#3 - When I went for my check up on day 7 I asked if I could start mushies, they said yes, so I actually started on day 8.
So glad things went well!!
Congratulations!! You did it! Happy to have you in the losers club!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry that you were in so much pain! For some reason that I can't explain, the only pain that I had was the Port site! I had absolutely NO GAS PAINS!
TMI WARNING!! As for the BM's, I had my first one about 4 days after Surgery. But I was constipated & it hurt like hell!! I actually started feeling the need to go on the 3rd day, but because of being constipated, I wasn't able to actually go until the night of the 4th day. but it was a tremendous relief!! I haven't been constipated since (thank goodness).
For the liquid questions, I didn't follow my liquid diet advise.
I started eating mushies on the day after Surgery. So I was eating scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, & tuna salad immediately. And a week later, on Thanksgiving, I ate small portions of mashed potatoes, ham & turkey.
So I can not give you any advise on this subject!! Again, I was one of the lucky ones that had no problems with consuming food. I still have not been stuck or had any PB's or sliming, etc. (knock on wood)!
Sounds likes you're right in there-- just have to fight through this post-op time and you'll be feeling better in no time. I agree with Jennyr--try to get some liquid with nutritional value in it-- even if you make your mom's chicken soup into a cream soup (try using fat free cream and blend all the soup into a liquid and add extra broth maybe....)
ReplyDeleteHang in there, you'll be past this phase soon and happier days are on the way!
xo Vanessa
Hi Yana...congrats on your op...sorry you are still in pain. I have 4 more days on liquids and got so sick of milky drinks and shakes that I have made up a variety of soups with protein in them...like chicken and corn, cheesy cauliflower, red kumera and lentil or just chicken and vegie soup. You then just puree them and add more stock to thin them out if needed. Good luck and have a great liquid Christmas
ReplyDeleteCongrats, it sounds like everything went well! I'm hoping your gas pains have decresed, boy do those suck. I have a suggestion for liquids, although it's not one that'll fill you up, but it's a yummy treat. I drank a bunch of diet hot chocolate with fat free whipped cream and I'd toss a peppermint in it so it was a little minty too. Hang in there, you'll be eating solids before you know it!
ReplyDelete1. Congrats!
ReplyDelete2. The gas pain they told me was air trapped behind your liver and because that isn't supposed to happen your body doesnt know what to tell you..I got horrible shoulder pain from it. I tried to stretch my arms and bend and twist as much as I could without causing port and pain with my stitches. Goodness knows if this worked but it did make me feel like i was doing something about it.
3. I pooped on day 3 and it was liquid in liquid out....no constipation at all.
4. I ate lots of runny soups. Split pea tasted the best as I got really sick of sweet stuff. When you move onto mushies things will get much better.
5. Speedy recovery from the pain but enjoy the TV time!
Congrats and it just keeps getting better now. Almost 4 months gone since I was banded, I'm with Jenny though, don't put in anything unless there is some nutritional value attached..I too enjoyed some tomato soup, felt more like real food with lots of flavor (if you like tomato soup). Once in a while I'd eat a spoon of pnut butter..big protein boost, right? Take care and have a happy holiday.
ReplyDeleteAhh Yana,
ReplyDeleteSo happy everything went as planned - stoked for you. It seems all the good ladies above had nailed everything on the head advice wise. Just be sure you stick with liquids and if I have one piece of advice for you: Don't deviate from what your doctor tells you to do, be a rule follower, if not normally then for sure now :) JUST stick with liquids until you're told differently. Its the best thing you can do. You have a lot of healing to do girl.
And
WELCOME TO BANDLAND!!!!! Whooooo xxxx
I have to say, I wouldn't take a stool softener until you know for sure you need one. Like one other person here, mine was liquid in, liquid out. I also took very little in the way of pain meds, which may have made the difference.
ReplyDeleteHang in there!
Amy