I imagine the first few days are the worse. Grr!!
Dept. of Weights and Measures:
I weighed in at 277.5 lb.
I also want to take my measurements, if not today, then shortly. Would help if I had a measuring tape..oh well, BF is an architect, so we have lots of stiff construction type tape measures around, which will work!
BF took some pics of me in a tank top and shorts, which I think I will post, as soon as I get my computer to recognize my memory stick! Also took some photos in my undies, that I will reserve, for the sake of my illustrious career!
Intake
I started with Chocolate Cream EAS Myoplex MIX, cause BF had it from his pre-op days last year. It says it is only seven servings per pack, but a serving is two scoops, which equals two shakes for me, so that's fine. Nutrition info for a two scoop serving is 3 g fat, 24 g carbs, 3 g fiber, and 42 g protein. 290 calories. I had one scoop, so that means half of that: 1.5 g fat, 12 g carbs, 1.5 g fiber, 21 g protein, and 195 calories.
I mixed it with extra water and ice, and it was fine. A little aftertaste, but bearable. I can tell I will get tired of these sweets real FAST!
Had a total of three 1/2 servings.
I had half a Muscle Milk Light, Chocolate flavor. It was very sweet, but less of an aftertaste than the Myoplex. They are ready to drink, which is nice - I can take one with me. I will definitely get some of these. Info: 4.5 g fat, 10 g carbs, 5 g fiber, 20 g protein, 160 calories. I only had half, so...2.25 g fat, 5 g carbs, 2.5 g fiber, 10 g protein, 80 calories
My Doc says I am supposed to have 1000 calories per day, at least 50 g of protein, and no more than 35 g of fat. My total intake was 6.25 g fat, 41 g carbs, 7 g fiber, 73 g protein, 665 calories. I'm probably less hungry than usual cause I am sick. I'll probably have another two shakes today.
I need to pick up some low sodium bullion cubes, cause I will been something salty! Also, I want to get some nice veggies, for my two cups of veggies per day. I'd love to go for Israeli salad - chopped up tomatoes, cukes, onions, with lemon juice, salt, and parley or dill. However, the only thing I found was some sauerkraut in the fridge - haven't had energy to shop so no fresh veggies - and am debating. Would be good for fiber and my salt craving, but worried it has too much sodium. I know the answer is, oh well, and I'm going to have some anyway...
I have been craving something called farmer cheese. In general, I think I am going to have a very hard time with the sweetness of the shakes! Do you have any suggestions? I just wrote an email to my dietitian, Rachel and asked her if I could use either of the following:
1. non-fat greek yogurt - 120 calories, 0 g of fat, 9 grams of carbs, 20 grams of protein
or
2. farmer cheese...4 ounces has 200 calories, 10 g of fat, 0 g of carbs, and 20 g of protein.
The shakes are mandatory but you may dilute them with skim milk if they are too sweet for you (half protein shake and half milk). I just drank it super fast then had a few sips of water. I am treating them like medicine.
I ate about 1/2 cup of saurkraut, rinsed off, so a little less sodium. Permitted as part of my daily vegetable requirement. NOT PERMITTED was the small roasted potato that I ate when I roasted some veggies for BF. It was very delicious and low fat, so I will forgive myself and try again tomorrow. I figure less than 100 calories, cause I did drizzle a tablespoon of EVOO over the entire pan.
Output
Exercise:
Not for me today, as I am still super sick. But I would have wanted to start walking 30 minutes a day. I am strictly housebound until Thursday, and even then will take it super super easy. I will start exercising when I stop wheezing and coughing. I'm much better than I was yesterday, but still far from well.
Evacuation:
Not so much, because I am a bit constipated from the codeine in my cough syrup. Myst take some fiber today!
So that is where I am at. Trying to drink water as well. Still sick, coughing, and I am so sore from the coughing! I think I will try a hot hot shower and then do some lovely body lotion and back to the couch for some tv. I actually spent most of the afternoon working!
-


If you like coffee, add some decaf instant coffee crystals to your protein shakes and blend well. It makes them kind of (emphasis on kind of) like a frappucino and really, really cuts the sweetness. By the end, that's the only way I could deal with how sweet they were!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on day 1. Day 6 was probably my hardest and then it got much, much easier! You can definitely do it!
Amy
Good luck Yana! Get thee to some broth ASAP! That will help tons. I actually found some flavored broths by College Inn, including a Lemongrass Thai one that was so good (tons of sodium, but virtually no calories). The sweet taste of the shakes does get old!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comments about the Red Flower products. I went to buy the stuff and naturally the 20% coupon excluded RF! Annoying. So I am waiting a bit but I am going to try that candle you recommended at least.
I was all about the veg and broth during my pre-op period. I really needed it for that savory fix. This might help keep you on track, I read a blog post from a woman who cheated on her pre-op diet, went for surgery expecting no problem, and then when she woke up, she was told they didn't do the surgery because her liver was too fatty and it wasn't really safe. They told her her diet hadn't been strict enough so she had to wait (not sure what that meant moneywise). I found that useful and motivating for me because it meant to me that the diet was really meaningful and i just couldnt cheat! The first day was seriously the hardest. After a few days I had tons of energy surprisingly. I did low sugar glucerna shakes and I think that helped too, plus all the fresh veg. Good luck!!!
ReplyDeleteheather
gettingbacktoskinnymini.blogspot.com
Agree with Heather, I ate my two cups of veggies daily with some balsimic vinegar. I didn't end up drinking all of the shakes each day because I'd find myself not hungry. Day 3 was the worst for me, but after that it was pretty much smooth sailing.
ReplyDeleteGood Luck! See you Sunday!
Sounds like you're doing great so far! Yeah the protein shakes are alittle sweet to me too, but I just do one a day if I skip a meal so I can deal. Throughout this process and trial and error, you find what works for YOU!
ReplyDelete