Monday, December 21, 2009

Pre-op Day 14 of 14 THE END Suggestions?

9.00 am   I've come to the end...and there were definitely points in the last two weeks where I didn't think I could do it, where I was ready to try and reschedule the surgery just so I could have something good to eat! But then I thought about the idea of doing it all over again...and I stuck with it.

Unfortunately, this morning I weighed in at 264, up 1/2 lb from yesterday morning. Despite only having 3 protein shakes and one hard-boiled egg, I did not lose any weight. I understand that numbers fluctuate, etc., but I've been dancing around these numbers for quite a few days now, the 265 lb - 263.5 lb range, while only eating a perfect low-fat, low-carb, high-protein diet...grrr! However, I have lost 16 lbs from my weight at the surgery consult, and 13 lbs from the start of the pre-op diet. That is virtually a pound a day!

I had a moment of weakness the second day of the diet, and ate McDonalds and Mexican food. It was because I had been told by the scheduler at the Dr's office that a 12 day liquid diet would be ok too...so I had to take that information and run with it! However, I faced it, made a resolution to do better, made a decision that any further straying from the straight and narrow could endanger my health during surgery, and have been pretty on the ball.

Last Tuesday, day 8, was probably the worse day for me, and I spent most of it crying and depressed and questioning my decision to have surgery. Talking to my BF was important to deal with it, partially because I admitted to him that I was scared not to have the surgery, that his weight loss (he had gotten banded September of 2008 an has lost 80 + lbs) would make him want to have a partner that was also thinner and more active than I am now. He reassured  me, and although I still think my theory makes logical sense, I needed to hear him say those words out loud, that he loves me no matter what.

Modifications...I did make some modifications to the plan my Dr. gave me. The dietitian in the program was totally not interested in working with me to make some modifications, so I decided to do it on my own. Not recommended, but the only way I could get through it. I stuck to the calorie, fat, carb, and protein proportions that would have been the result of only drinking shakes, and added either a little portion of farmer cheese, boiled or baked dry chicken breast, or egg white. It made a huge difference to me. The only excess fat was two egg yolks and 1/4 teaspoon of mayo. I feel good about that. I still lost 13 lbs on the pre-op diet, and I doubt I would've lost more if I had stuck to shakes. I also probably ate a little more than 2 cups of veggies the first week. I researched other pre-op diets to make my modifications.

I'll spend today wrapping up a few work matters, tidying the house, calling the house-cleaner to come in while I am recovering at my parents' place, packing a bag to take there, ordering up some Netflix...

Any suggestions of things to have at the hospital/at home afterward?
I've got lip balm, slippers, something to read...lost my Ipod two months ago, so unfortunately won't have that! Does anyone know if you can wear your own pj's at NYU?
I've got Gas-X strips and some Benefiber.

12 comments:

  1. You've done so well! I can't believe it's tomorrow...but I bet you can. :)

    I think you've got the basics covered with what to take. I'd suggest a sports bra or other non-underwire bra to wear home. I have an incision right at my bra line, and you might as well.

    One of the things I liked post-surgery was G2, the low-cal Gatorade. A 20 oz bottle has 70 calories, so it's not completely calorie-free, but it tastes good and has some electrolytes to help you conquer your thirst! (I was allowed beverages with less than 25 calories per 8 oz.)

    Good luck - I'll be thinking about you!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow tomorrow is the day! I am sure you will do awesome. I cant think of anything else to take with you. Just make sure your house is stocked with what you will need when you get home (juice, broth, protein drinks, popsicles, jello, pain meds,etc) cause you may not feel like going out for a couple days. Let us know how you are doing as soon as you feel up to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Amy, you have non-underwire bras!?!? ;)
    Even my sports bras, which I think are still too small have underwires, I think! I'll just go bra-less if it's an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made it! I knew you would. I took my laptop with me so I could blog. Something to read...

    Good luck and I cant wait to here from you on this side of the band!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited for you!! I knew you could do it, way to go! As for suggestions - I agree with Amy - a bra without underwire due to the incision site under the bra line. However, if you don't have one then be sure to bring a big sweatshirt and you can just walk out of the hospital without a bra! You will also want to bring lose fitting pants because of the port incision. I was allowed to wear pj's after surgery at St. Luke's - I am sure it is not a problem.
    Can't wait to read your first blog as a Bandit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would bring a pillow in the car. You can put it under your seatbelt so it doesn't rub. Also if you have to cough you can hug it and it helps reduce any pain or pulling on the incisions. Ohh and a brush/comb. Since my surgery was so early (had to be there at 6:30am) and I was doing it outpatient, I wore pjs there and home so I didn't have to haul around another set of clothes - or worry about clothes being too tight from the swelling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also remember not being able to bend and tie my shoes. I had to have someone do it for me. You might want to get shoes that slip on or make sure your driver doesn't leave to get the car before you get your shoes tied. Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yayyyy! So excited for you and proud of you Yanna! Just keep going in with the strong positivity and enjoy the ride... Welcome to the crew! xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. WAHOOO! Tomorrow's your big day!! Definetly bring a pillow or stuffed animal like TJ said, it helps a ton for when you have to cough and for the ride home. I also was allowed to put PJ bottoms on, but had to leave the johnny on top. I brought slippers as well for all the walking they made me do after surgery. Sounds like your well prepared and ready to roll! Best wishes, and can't wait to hear how everything goes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Tomorrow is the big day. We will ALL be thinking of you, Yana and I ditto all the girls above - so proud of you that you made it to the end. You BF has been banded and lost 80+ pounds and now it's your turn. You will be a great success.

    I can't think of anything else to take to the hospital than already mentioned. I do remember I took much though. Maybe a dressing gown to go over your PJ's for when you start walking around? Because walking and moving as soon as you can do it is so good for you.

    GOOD LUCK!!!!
    HUGS
    Cara xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I popped in tonight to wish you well as you recover!!! I hope the surgery went well and you are well on your way to recovery. The port incision can be painful for a couple of weeks. It will be worth the pain believe me!!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  12. The gas-x strips are probably my best advice b/c they work really well! My advice is that if you have the ability to kick back and chill that's exactly what I'd do. I'd say take like 2-3 days to kick back watching movies, make sure you take your meds, drink a lot of water, and move around when they tell you too! That's it!

    ReplyDelete