Remember how I bragged about quitting smoking? Well, I didn't smoke that much in the first place (less than ten cigs in one month), but right after I quit (Sunday before Thanksgiving), I started wheezing and coughing...the day after Thanksgiving, mom sent me to the Dr., who told me I had bronchitis, gave me antibiotics, cough medicine, and an inhaler for the wheezing...ten days later, I am still fully sick. I am still wheezing. I am still coughing deep in my chest, still bringing up phlegm, and still really weak, I discovered, when I walked four blocks away to the health food store for eucalyptus oil and cayenne pepper capsules.
I've been taking Mucinex, and since I read the label and saw it said take 1-2 every 12 hours, I've been taking two and that was when I started bring up the phlegm from my lungs. Before I was just coughing.
Anyway, I am scheduled to have my pre-op tests on Thursday, and I am pretty sure I won't be well by then - they won't clear me for surgery at this rate - I am so upset and nervous and uncertain. I am going to see my Dr. tomorrow, and see what he said, but he's not great - I just know him and he takes my new insurance and he's relatively easy to get in to see. And he is not really supportive of the surgery - he just sort of sighed, agreed to do the physical and write the letter, but thinks it's kinda silly. So I don't think he will be sympathetic to my nerves.
Are any of my readers in the NY area and can recommend a good primary care Dr.? Ideally in Brooklyn or even Manhattan.


It's better to get the phlegm up off the lungs and get better before surgery, otherwise you may experience complications during and after the surgery (and you don't want to have more stuff to deal with when you are in pain!)...you can get a little fluid on the lungs after surgery...have you spoken with the surgeon? Hope you can find a new GP who can support you...it is all about your health after all! Take care and hope you are feeling better soon.
ReplyDeleteRoo is right. You really don't want to be coughing after Surgery any more than you have to. It would be very painful.
ReplyDeleteAnd if you can't clear your lungs, your Bronchitis could go into Pneumonia & you really don't want that! Not to mention, too much coughing could cause the band to slip (I think).
So definitely talk with your Surgeon. I hate to say it, but it may be best to wait until you are fully recovered to do the Surgery. I will be keeping you in my thoughts for a speedy recovery.
Well the good news is that your lungs are trying to get better!!, bad news is that it will be a bit of a set back. But you need to have your lungs in good shape to tackle this surgery and afterwards. Don't forget after surgery you are going to have to get up and walk around. That will be taxing on your body as well. Bronchitis is going around. Check with your doc, did he give you a zpack for antibiotic? Both my DH and me had this thing. and it does last for about 2 to 3 weeks before you are back on sound ground..Take care of yourself Yana, you want to go into this in the best of health..keep us updated.
ReplyDeleteMy primary care Dr is Dr Milano and his office is actually at NYU. He is a gastroenteroligist also so he does my lovely colonoscopys ( huge history of colon cancer in my family so I have to get them every 2 years ). Anyway he was supportive of my surgery and I really like him, He is an older doctor. Let me know if you want his number
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear that you are sick. I hope you get better soon!
ReplyDeleteI go to Dr. MacNaughton - she is located 16 East 16th Street and her number is 212.206.5200. I love her, she is very nice.
Dr Lutsky in the 30s on the East Side in Manhattan. He's awesome and supportive of the surgery. My husband thought he might not be able to have the surgery but the day before it all clicked into place. But take your time and make sure you're healthy. And let us know what happens after your appt!
ReplyDeleteHeather
gettingbacktoskinnymini.blogspot.com