Monday, December 28, 2009

Post band observations, 4 days out

This was a comment I made on Vanessa's blog, Dinnerland. I told her I was also gonna put it up as a post...cause it describes where I am post-op and I would have wanted to know pre-op. This was me, the day after Chistmas, December 26, 4 days post-op!

As hard as the pre-op diet is, I really haven't had the same experience post op...you are just way to scared to hurt yourself! I get nervous when I've drunk an entire cup of tea in small sips over 15 minutes instead of an hour! I'm comfortable around other people eating foods I love, which is a radical change.

Actually, I had an interesting observation last night - my cousin came over to visit me, and we sat down in the kitchen for "tea". I come from a large Russian-Jewish family, and the idea of sitting around a table without food is unfathomable. So, during the next two hours of laughter and conversation, while I stuck to my one mug of tea with lemon and a little bit of honey, my cousin had tea along with two slices of cake, two mandarin oranges, three handfuls of cashew nuts, etc...I think my parents did the same. And I was thinking how I usually would've done the same, if not worse - would I have pulled down the chocolate covered bridge mix? Pulled out cheese and crackers? Etc...

I was all good. I had had two protein shakes, a small drinkable yogurt, multiple cups of tea, and two potions of potato knish soup - a round knish, cut up, soaked in stocks, heated in the microwave, blended with my stick blender to a creamy consistence, and mixed with more stock to a drinkable consistency - I probably consumed about 1/3 of the large knish that way. It was delicious.

6 comments:

  1. isn't it funny how you notice how much others are eating now? stay with it. you are doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And how are you today??? I hope you're coming along in your recovery. It is so funny, now that I am fully committed into the pre-op liquid diet, I cannot wait for post-op liquids, since you have so much more freedom (it seems)-- if you can blend it, you can eat it, right?
    (I will try to keep calories down so I don't stall the weight loss...though.)

    Anyway: soon to join you honey!!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing what clarity we have about food now--too bad we couldn't see it before! But now that we have our bands we have a constant reminder of what we are eating. Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drinkable yogurt is such a good idea, I wish I had thought of that when I was post-op!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yana, I agree the post op diet is much easier mentally than the preop. People who know about the surgery are always worried about eating in front of me, but I keep telling them that it doesn't bother me. The only thing so far that has is the diet coke with crushed ice that someone had. I wasn't very far into the post op and sooooo wanted to drink it. It is still the only thing that I really crave :)

    Glad to see you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that about getting the band - suddenly the desire for eating goes away - it sure comes back with a vengeance but ride that wave until that time comes.

    You are doing so well in the phase you are in post-band.. totally proud of the things you are getting down. A good mix and they sound healthy. Good things are waiting to happen for you, Yana.. and we will be here cheering you on.

    Cara x

    ReplyDelete