Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Ouch!

I headed out to dinner last night and had a yummy meal - half a slice of smoked brisket and three little chunks of sirloin. A bite of no-mayo coleslaw, a half sour pickle, and a third of a tiny roll.

I did have a small coca-cola, an 8 ounce size in the little glass bottle. And a frozen yogurt afterwards, a small one.

Didn't booze, though, just had the one coke when we went to hang out at a bar.

When I got home, I popped my anti-biotic (second to last pill of the Zpack) and plopped into bed, EXHAUSTED. And woke up a few hours later, in a LOT of pain.

Even though I'd gotten a copy of the revised band rules last time I was at the Dr and it specifically said not to take pills, especially larger ones right before bed, especially not with a lot of water, what did I do? And it was zithromax, which is none to be unpleasant to tummies. And I had eaten about 4 hours previously...no good! I ended up going back to bed, but sleeping almost sitting up, propped up by pillows. I had a burning ouchy pain in my chest. I don't think it was the band, I think it was my esophogus!

So I was careful this morning, sipped warm tea, my NEWLY ARRIVED LIQUID VITAMINS - not amazing, but not yucky. I'll take it. Lentil soup, and then in the afternoon, half a portion of kefta kebob - basically, lamb meatballs. Thought it would be ok, because it is all ground up. And it was. I actually felt a bit better after I ate. Just got some ice cream to hide the last pill in, because Gaspar called me back (I was in enough pain to call the Dr today - but I was on hold a LONG time and he only called back at 6.45 while I was on the subway home) and left a message instructing me to crush the pill and take it with food. So I HAD to get some Ben and Jerry's Boston Cream Pie - a new flavor! I'm feeling much better now toward the end of the day, but let that be a lesson - don't take pills right before bed!!!

5 comments:

  1. Sure use that new flavor or Ben and J's as a pill hiding excuse :)....Just kidding. I'm glad the doctor called back and told you to crush it. I have had a problem once or twice in the middle of the night and it is NO fun.

    I have worked hard at getting my pills all liquid or chewables now. I was good with either taking the small ones or crushing them up for a long time but eventually my restriction was tight enough that even crushing had to be done carefully.

    Good luck! and hope the pill thing works better tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take a few different pills per day-- I got a pill cutter and it seems to work to cut pills in half.
    At the NYU practice, they recommend that any pill larger than a tic tac needs to be cut in half or crushed... sorry you had trouble with the "Z" and glad you're feeling on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch. That pill sounded like it got stuck well and truly. I am always wary of taking big ones too - you can really feel them go down and I worry they will get stuck sideways lol. Hasn't happened yet .. but.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I request liquid antibiotics just so I don't get that burning, nasty-tasting feeling in my chest after taking a pill. Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete