Friday, May 28, 2010

Is this acid reflux?

I really hope not, but please give me your feedback. Yes, of course I will call the doc, but I had a hard time reaching someone and I am pretty sure it is not a tightness issue, as I can eat a decent amount of food with no PB's.

I mentioned that Tuesday night I popped my antibiotic and woke up because I was super sore - had a burny feeling on my espophogus. My NP Gaspar said this was esophogitis from the antibiotic sitting in my pouch. And I laid down immediately after taking it.

I've become concious that I should crush my pills is they are big, even if they don't get stuck - I don't want them sticking around in my pouch.

This morning, around 4.45 am I woke up choking - not that I couldn't swallow, but I think I aspirated some saliva, sleeping in such a way that some saliva puddled in my mouth and then shifting so it went down my windpipe - felt very burny, but not in the same place as the other night. I coughed a lot, then caught my breath. Sat up for a while. Decided to take a swig of Pepto, just in case it was acid reflux. About 45 minutes later I calmed down, the pain mostly subsided - it is in the back of my throat, not the esophagus - and I drifted off to fitful sleep. I feel like poop this am, but I am heading in to work.

I remember thinking just the other night, how luck I was not have any problems - I was over 50 lbs down and doing great, no complications, no port issues, etc. I fear I may have spoken too soon...also that I am going to have to start sleeping propped up on a lot of pillows to avoid this happening again. Not excited!

6 comments:

  1. Ugh I wish I knew the answer I really dont!! Hope you get in touch with someone at the office soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It could be acid reflux. Do you have an especially bad taste in your mouth when you wake up in the morning?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you get it figured out. Acid reflux is no fun. I've been taking meds for about 5 yrs. for it. It is generally worse when you lay down, eat late, eat foods with red sauce...feels like something burning, just sitting at the top of your throat...leaving a nasty taste in your mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! It's so nice to see some fellow gastric banders! I got mine done in February 2009. Congrats on the success that you have had so far!

    As for the acid reflux question...it sounds like it very well could be. I get acid reflux, but I've never had it wake me up in the middle of the night with a dripy-throat thing. Do you take Prilosec or Nexxium or anything? I take Nexxium and take it "as needed," about once every four days or so. It's great and definitely helps with the acid reflux.

    I would love it if you would also check out my blog sometime if you have time! www.phoenixrevolution.net. I recently posted some pics of my stomach/port site, and I'd love to get another bander's opinion on it. Normal or not?

    Cheers!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. This happens to me. I'm guessing acid reflux based on my own experience but you never know. i'm also guessing it was the "reflux" you woke up choking on perhaps... For me overdoing it food wise causes this problem. but it can also be from being overfilled. And then it can also just be chronic. Feel better and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep us updated with the progress!

    ReplyDelete