Thursday, May 27, 2010

NSV! Weird ones...

1. OK, this is completely ridiculous, but as I was running down the stairs to catch a train today, I heard a weird clapping sound. And I realized it was my thighs slapping against each other in my skirt...because they no longer just rubbed together, but actually seperated...

2. My bra situation is dire. Bras are expensive, and I have about 2.5 left. Two black ones, that have decent lift and shaping, although both are almost two big and two beige ones that don't do a thing for me - very soft and mushy. And seven sports bras - but they weirdly make my band extra tight, which I think someone mentioned a while ago...I will probably have to give in and buy some more bras this weekend or next week.

3. Health - when I was at the dr's for the sinus infection, he took some blood...my cholesterol is 164! Seems like they aim for it to be under 200, and mine was always slightly elevated, so this is amazing!
Let's look at the numbers:

Total cholesterol 164. Ideal under 200.
HDL (good cholesterol) 40 - A little low.
High-density lipoprotein (HDL) is the "good" cholesterol. HDLs carry cholesterol in the blood from other parts of the body back to the liver, which leads to its removal from the body. So HDL helps keep cholesterol from building up in the walls of the arteries. If your HDL cholesterol level is below 40 mg/dL, you are at substantially higher risk for heart disease. The higher your HDL cholesterol level, the better.
 
HDL Cholesterol Level
HDL Cholesterol Category
Less than 40 mg/dL
A major risk factor for heart disease
40-59 mg/dL
The higher, the better
60 mg/dL and above
Considered protective against heart disease
 
The average level of HDL cholesterol for men is about 45 mg/dL; for women, it is about 55 mg/dL.
Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) is the "bad" cholesterol. LDLs carry most of the cholesterol in the blood, and the cholesterol from LDL is the main source of damaging buildup and blockage in the arteries. Thus, the more LDL you have in your blood, the greater your risk of heart disease.
 
LDL (bad cholesterol) 104 - I am pretty happy with this. It isn't optimal, but it's pretty damn close!
 
LDL Cholesterol Level
LDL Cholesterol Category
Less than 100 mg/dL
Optimal
100-129 mg/dL
Near optimal/above optimal
130-159 mg/dL
Borderline high
160-189 mg/dL
High
190 mg/dL and above
Very high

Triglycerides 102 - Mine are perfect!!!
Triglycerides are not actually cholesterol, but a form of fat carried through the bloodstream. Most of your body's fat is in the form of triglycerides stored in fat tissue. Only a small portion is found in the bloodstream.
 
High triglyceride levels alone do not necessarily cause atherosclerosis. But some lipoproteins that are rich in triglycerides also contain cholesterol, which causes atherosclerosis in some people with high triglycerides. Also, high triglycerides are often accompanied by other factors, such as low HDL or diabetes, that raise the risk of heart disease. Therefore, high levels may be a sign of a lipoprotein problem that contributes to heart disease.
 
Triglyceride Levels
Triglyceride Category
Less than 150 mg/dL
Normal
150-199 mg/dL
Borderline high
200-499 mg/dL
High
500 mg/dL or above
Very high
 
 
BUMMER ALERT - he noted that my Vitamin D levels are low, 24.8 when they should be between 30 and 100. I will have to look into upping Vitamin D rich foods. Maybe drink more milk!

5 comments:

  1. YANA..its been awhile but I am so glad to see how well you're doing !! Keeping it going girlie. As far as the bra situation is concerned go to Marshall's they got good bra's cheap...as a matter of fact its a perfect place to shop with an ever dropping waist line ( he he !!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. my weird nsv is learning how to walk without my ankles hitting and tripping me! because my thighs aren't as far apart neither are my ankles! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. can't wait till I have some thigh slapping... never thought of that ;-) great job !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Great blood panel results... congrats. You are a healthy chicka.
    Awesome, now go have a glass of milk!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome NSV's! I once had to run for a photo and do it in slow motion and I realized the weird clapping sound I heard was my flabby paunch knocking around (the slow-mo for the camera caused the sound, I think). I wanted to curl up and die, but there were people to the right and left of me and a photographer who looked pissed off. So I started talking realllly loudly. But the weird thing is- it was a victory!!! I never would have run before and my paunch was deflated because I'd lost weight :-).

    Strange....

    ReplyDelete