Saturday, March 13, 2010

Stress NSV!!!

244 lbs this am...not bad, especially considering I had salty food last night.

Here's what's been going on at work: I was hired in a small company, that mostly caters to clients in one particular immigrant group. Not saying what so as to be sensible. The idea was that I take over a lot of the day-to-day duties the boss does so he has more time to build the business and even hire more attorneys to do the work. My role was to be hands on with clients. Unfortunately, he asked me to jump in right away, and I wasn't comfortable with the combination of conducting business in another language ( I can speak it from birth, but I've never conducted business in it! ) and using his style with clients - he had a very specific approach he wanted me to use, which is very unlike my own. So when he asked me to start doing his spiel with clients after three days, I told him I wasn't comfortable. Then he and the practice manager started to micro-manage each word that came out of my mouth with clients, and I sort of froze...I now appear a lot less confident than I am. A huge part of it is that he has a very different style when it comes to answering questions. I like to take more time and make sure clients understand EVERYTHING, especially the drawbacks. He glosses over things that will confuse them and sort of bulldozes. Everything is covered in the contract that clients sign, but he doesn't point every aspect out to them. And I am supposed to do it his way, especially in the beginning. So now, after 2.5 weeks, he sent me an email that he's decided he needs to find something else for me to do and asked me to come up with a marketing plan. That's fine, we talked about that when I interviewed, I was interested in this idea, but he compared the work I was doing for the past 2.5 weeks, the time I was familiarizing myself with what and how goes on with work he could get for a recent grad for half the price of what he was paying me (I disagree, by the way)! This was horribly hurtful. He did follow up with another email to soften the blow, the manager talked to me to let me know the boss wasn't disappointed but was looking for the best way to use my specific skills, so I could add value to the company. I understand about earning my keep, I do, especially because I negotiated a salary substantially higher than the other attorney in this office. But I do think that a little bit of time before making such a decision would have been the right thing to do!

It's not that bad. He followed up later in the day with a phone call to let me know everything is all right, that we will work at finding me the right niche in the company. And I sent off my marketing plan at the end of the day. Just checked work email, and he has been been emailing me all of last night, giving me very positive feedback.

I think it will be ok. I'm just nervous. It could be a GREAT opportunity for me, I want to make sure that it is.

Here's my NSV - I didn't drown my stress in food. I ate a yummy lunch with a few french fries, and a few squares of dark chocolate. An ok dinner. And that was that!

6 comments:

  1. Good for you Yana...keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a victory! Keep it up! You guys in the business world amaze me. I'll be honest, I have no idea what a marketing plan is. I'm such a science nerd. I never took a business class in my life. My accountant will vouch for me. It just sounds like you are at the mercy of some real jerks. Way to keep your head high and continue to take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great NSV! I would have been searching for the snacks... stress is what gets me the most.
    Hope it turns into a position you grow to love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that is an amazing NSV. Work troubles are one of the worst food triggers for me because I put so much value into how others in the office perceive my work. Sometimes even the smallest criticism leaves me feeling terrible.

    I hope that the new role/responsibilities is a better fit for you. It never works when you walk into a situation that you aren't comfortable with. It doesn't matter how much education you have or don't have. If it isn't in your bag of tricks, it just isn't in your bag of tricks. Good for you for not totally changing who you are for the job. It sounds like you are one out of a million in your profession who actually wants us lowly non-legal people to understand what is going on around them, for them, and with them. We could use more of your kind!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete