Am I too tight? It's borderline. If you can bear to read through this, I would appreciate some feedback. Do you think I should get an unfill or just continue to moderate my behavior?
To be fair, I am under a huge amount of stress these days to perform at work. And it is tough. I saw a homeopathic adviser about taking something to help me out last night, and I hope it helps.
Note - Mama, I don't want to talk about this. I already talked to you about this.
I love you, lots and lots. If it doesn't get better, I will go back to the Dr. ASAP, but I think I am getting better by minding my eating habits.
I feel fine, but I have been PB'ing a lot this week since my fill. It doesn't hurt, but it can't be good. I am trying to take it easier, chew better, take smaller bites, eat slower...and it is getting better. I did lose another lb, which brings me to 239.5, 40.5 lbs down!!!
Thursday:
small bialy, toasted, with butter. no problems.
3/4 bag pretzel honey mustard onion flavor - a lot, probably too much. it was not a tiny bag.
greek yogurt and banana
3 cherry tomatoes, a bit of feta, and 3 pasta spirals in pesto
1/3 diet dr pepper
two bites of chocolate tart crust
risotto milanese. one of my favorite dishes at one of my fav restaurants. I nibbled risotto - delish. Took a bite of meat - tasty. Kept going. Stopped concentrating. Enjoyed company and conversation...and...!!! Stuck on a chunk of meat. soft but not very juicy. Was in a crowded crowded tight hipster restaurant. Marlow and Sons, one of my all time favorites. A line for the bathroom of six people...ran outside. down the block. I was coughing and almost pb'ing. A hipster dude in a porkpie hat walked by and was trying to make sure I was ok, probably thought I was drunk.Told him I just ate something that disagreed with me. I finally slimed a little and coughed and a little something came up in a dark corner of a construction site...felt much better. went back in and nibbled a little more risotto but stayed away from the meat.
Had a sip of a martini and a sip of a ginger ale and didn't want anymore so I left them. Did have a lot of water before my meal, and after I ate because we were there a long while.
Today:
rest of the pretzels.
water.
one small bite veggie dumpling, and I knew it was not gonna be good. So I stopped. Closed them up, gave them away to my co-worker. They were very doughy dumplings. None of that, please!
one beef skewer, no problems.
Here's an example of bad behavior - when I was nibbling on the eggroll, I was fine. But then my manager was walking by, the one that I had told about my surgery, and I didn't want him to see me eating an egg roll...I think you understand why. I I swallowed my bite quickly and put it away and...1/2 an egg roll...and there I was stuck stuck again. I waited it out, and then had a tiny PB. it almost isn't one, I just feel stuck, and I cough a little, and some saliva comes up and I feel better. Sometimes it has been actual stuff, but very rarely. I waited some more, took a little sip of water and practically choked....but a little while later I drank a whole bottle of water, no problem, and ate another beef skewer.
Dinner was one special from the Indian take out place that Eric and I split, and had leftovers. A little basmati rice with chicken tikka masal in a lovely creamy tomato sauce. And my favorite app, lentil cakes with chopped potatoes and chickpeas. I had a third. And a Mango Lassi, split, and a lamb appetizer that I ate I piece of. Had the leftovers for brunch today. No stucky, no problem.
I am learning that it is easier to eat later in the day. It is VERY important to eat SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY. That is the most important thing, I think...almost anything is manageable if you take your time!!!


OK - I'm not sure if you're too tight, but I think you're getting to the point that you need to really focus on chewing and going slowly (which you mentioned)and maybe re-evaluate what you are eating. It seems like you're still eating a lot of bread and that may be what's giving you the problem. I am not a no carb person by any means - I still eat rice and pasta at dinner.
ReplyDeleteIf you can get most food and water down when you're eating slowly and you're not resorting to sliders, I don't think you're too tight.
Maybe take note of what is giving you problems and avoid them for now.
It's tricky when you're still trying to identify the feeling of restriction.
Yep, I agree with Linda, just focus on your food choices and chew, chew, chew, then chew some more. You are in the discovery stage and you'll figure out what works for you.
ReplyDeleteI had some problems after my first fill-for two weeks, I could eat, then not eat, got stuck regularly, then could eat and then spent last weekend in agony vomiting and needed an unfill. I was told that I should be able to eat at least a cup of solid food, but there was no way. Although it is good to pay attention to chewing and making good food choices, you shouldn't put up with being too tight. Maybe only a tiny amount needs to be taken out. They also told me it can take a couple of weeks after a fill to get used to the new restriction. I would call your doc on Monday and ask for advice. There is nothing wrong with having some taken out. A few others have posted what you should feel like after a fill so check out their blogs (Gen from i heart the band and Sally from Ramblings both posted some info).
ReplyDeleteHope you feel better soon.
Hey Yana!
ReplyDeleteI think you're borderline. If you can manage it, wait it out and be careful. I think you might be too tight, but sometimes after a week or so you might loosen up a bit. If things stay as are you could have even like a tiny smidge taken out. Another sign of being overfilled is heartburn in case that's a problem.
A couple of doctors I spoke too said that people start having problems with slipping or band related health problems when they stay too tight. So better to err on the side of caution if this continues.
Good luck!
different people have different preferences as to how tight they like to be. it is a personal choice to a point. some like to be tight where they cant eat meat and bread and pasta and some want to be looser so they can manage those things. but you should not have heartburn or reflux. i think you are where you just have to chew more and eat slower.
ReplyDeleteYou managed to get a lot of food down you and much of it was generally problematic for people (rice, risotto, dumplings)..I think like the others have said, that it is time to really start altering your habits now. You are not chewing, you are trying to drink when there is food in your stomach...those seem like the two things that got you into trouble. You are either going to have to learn to chew even when socializing or working or you are going to have to stop eating dangerous foods during those times.
ReplyDeleteI vote no on too tight but yes on time to change the habits. You are now at the point where the band is changing you. You can turn back and be comfortable with a looser band and not give up all of the things that create obesity. This means that you will eventually you will stop losing weight. Alternatively you can forge ahead, start changing and keep working the band. The bandy ball is now in your court.
I think Tina (and the other girls) pretty much nailed it on the head. Without sounding too preachy - you have to start changing your eating habits and realise that the band is now going to dictate what foods you can and cant have.
ReplyDeletePretzel I imagine is heavy and doughy and will def make you react (with a PB).. and the same with dumplings.. some people can get away with rice and pasta.. some can't. It doesn't sound like you're too tight but more in that spot where some foods are accepted and some not. You should have a good idea by now what you can and can't eat. It's hard going to start changing the diet, but you can do it :)
What Tina and Cara said.
ReplyDeleteIf you can eat a beef skewer and chicken you are not too tight, no matter what! A person who was too tight would not be able to eat virtually any of the things you listed.
I agree with leaving the bready stuff alone for a while - and that includes dumplings, they are horrible for the band. And take small little bites. No drinking while eating unless it is wine with dinner and you know your band will cooperate. Focus more on protein.
This is a hard transition time. You need to accept that some foods are going to give you trouble and you are better off giving them up. This probably involves dealing with the whole emotional thing about eating in general.
But congrats on the loss! You are getting there, and you will figure this out!
I am with these guys...not too tight but just need better choices. When I had my PBing all weekend eposodes I got stuck on everything...I have loosened up now but I even Pbed a shake. I would take it very easy and try not to aggrevate the band. Keep up the good work and I hope your Mum understands you are ok....I so get that!!!
ReplyDeleteI agree with what everyone said pretty much, but I would add that it is worthwhile to return to Dr. K and get HER advice. She is your doctor and you can tell her ANYTHING. She won't judge you-- she is there to help you and has heard it all.
ReplyDeleteAnyhow: hang in there, keep learning, stay further away from the doughy stuff and tough meats-- and this will continue to come together for you!!
Yana to agree with everyone else I dont think you are too tight...I think you just have to chew more and concentrate. That being said you are the only one that can make the final decision. Try and see if you can chew chew chew for the next day or so and if still getting stuck maybe go back for a tiny unfill. good luck
ReplyDeletei agree with everyone else. and from someone that has needed an unfill....i regret getting it. cuz i was at my sweet spot, then i got the flu and needed the unfill till some of the swelling from throwing up went down.
ReplyDeletei think you should be making very conscious decisions about what you're eating right now. you know your better than anyone else. even the doc, just listen to your body and your band and it'll tell you what it/you need. good luck.
I haven't read your most recent post, but I wanted to let you know we are in the EXACT same place. I thought I might have been too tight, but turns out, I am just having to adjust my habits. I'm finding that eating is a really a lot of work!!!! Maybe the band is all about aversion therapy!
ReplyDelete