I have nothing exciting to report...life has been lived. My computer power supply melted down, and I don't blog at work. I am staying late today, because I really want to get this all out!
I had Passover with Eric's family and then with my family. I had my 33rd birthday - my folks gifted me with a beautiful pair of David Yurman earrings! Eric has promised to help me pick out a sexy new pair of shades. I had a fabulous party where I cooked a bunch of delicious food and ate lightly. Except those 8 meringue cookies...but that's ok, it was my birthday!. I worked and stressed and ate and didn't exercise too much, but tried to walk a bit...not nearly enough. Since my last post I haven't had a single PB episode, which I attribute to chewing better and eating slower. I got a little stucky once or twice, but it passed very quickly.
My weight - I haven't really lost any weight. Just a pound or two. Kind of a shocker, because with my last fill, I lost a TON of weight. And while I will go in to see the Dr. tomorrow morning, I don't think I need too much more of a fill. I definitely have been eating more recently, but not a lot, and with a few exceptions, not too badly. I do think I need to incorporate some new standbys into my diet and start working this band a little better. I know I do need a little food, because I am seeking it out all the time. Thinking about it more than I was before. So I will happily take a sparrow's fart of a fill tomorrow, thank you very much! My appointment is at 10.30, but I am planning to get there super super early and try to get in and out without wasting the entire morning.
TMI Lady business...I had a visit with my lady dr. I had told her I was planning to have surgery last September, before I even had a date. She was very supportive, told me she had just read an article about how women with lap bands have healthier babies than women who have kids at a very high weight. Said she was excited for me and would do research on how to manage a lap band pregnancy when the time came. One of the main reasons I wanted to lose weight was to improve my chances of fertility - I have always been extremely irregular with my periods, and the more weight I gained the worse it was. I took birth control pills on and off for years to regulate my period, but I have decided they are not a good idea for various reasons - I can get into that later, you all can call me a crazy hippie - and basically hadn't gotten my period in seven months. My doctor wanted me to take some medication to induce a cycle because it's not healthy, and I was going to do that before surgery, but a friend of mine did a Reiki treatment for me, and I got my period without medication! I've been eager to see if my period would start after I lost weight, but it's been over 40 lbs and I haven't gotten it yet, so I am under orders from the doc to take the medication. Does anyone else have similar problems? Has the situation changes/improved as you lost weight?
I'm going to a wedding on Saturday night, and I raided the lovely Catherine's closet for a dress to wear - I will post pictures - it's a lovely Tadashi number, brown with black lace overlay on the bodice. and it is a size 14Q - I think that means Queen?! I remember starting this journey as a size 22 who didn't have very many clothes because I refused to shop for such a large size...what a difference a few months make!
I came out to a girl that works in the office next to me today. She is in a different business, but her desk is right next to mine and we've gotten friendly. She's very heavy, and was interested in getting a band. I also came out to a family friend who was visiting from Germany - she's also very interested in getting the band, but is scared of the anesthesia. I told both of them that I think it is one of the best decisions I have ever made. I do think that upping my exercise and my water will help a lot.
Monday March 29
bialy with butter
4 slices pinapple
seder:
2 glasses wine
.25 pieces matzah, slice feta cheese, three cherry tomatoes
tablespoon mayo-less potato salad
chopped liver and .5 piece matzah
little piece of salmon - like one big bite worth.
tablespoon of eggplant dip
little slice of matzo kugel, little piece of brisket, half a chicken matzo ball in tomato sauce.
small slice of delicious meringue cake, sliver of chocolate walnut pie and pecan pie. Tea
Tuesday March 30th
3 fried shrimp, 12 french fries.
skim milk w sf caramel syrup, 3 Madeline cookies. bag fritos bbq twists.
small portion brisket and one matzo ball. half pickle. few bites flour less choco cake.
bite matzo, horseradish, and maror - paste of apples, nuts, and wine.
chicken soup with one matzo ball, little spoon of rice, and carrots. Spoonful of butternut squash soup.
roast lamb, small piece leek zucchini matzoh kugel, two small bites fish
two bites chocolate brownie, raspberry jelly roll - my birthday cake!
Wednesday March 31
Cooked breakfast with one small potato, two small pieces leek zucchini matzah kugel, one small onion and two eggs. This made two potions. I ate half of my portion.
three bites of chocolate cake
4 piece chicken nugget happy meal, hamburger minus half a bun. no drink, no ketchup or bbq sauce
a few nibbles of lamb.
6 cookies
nibble of parm cheese
2 chicken meatballs
shrimp shumai, two pieces crunch spicy tuna roll, two bites seaweed salad, half a miso soup, half an orange
.5 glass white wine with the lovely Catherine
Thursday April 1
sugarfree jello pudding
one greek yogurt
three chicken meatballs
few sips isopure drink
1.5 pieces matza with babganoush
2/3 lobster roll filling, no roll. handful potato chips. One pickle spear.
strawberry and cream LF yogurt
red velvet LF yogurt
handful potato chips - and I do mean handful. not the huge amounts I used to eat. I always heard about portion control, where you put a handful of chips in a small bowl and bring that into the tv room...I can do that now.
Friday April 2
2 pieces string cheese
south beach fiber bar
slice matza with one piece cheese and one spoon of baba
raspberry chobani greek yogurt - on sale last night at Fairway!
feta cheese, tomato, matza, potato chips, olives...my potato chip control went out the window while gabbing with my friend!
Saturday April 3- My birthday party! I spent most of friday night and all of saturday cooking up a storm - and I was pretty ok with my eating.
iced tea with milk and splenda
birthday party...there was food eaten, don't remember exactly what...
the only "bad" bahvior is that I probably had about 8 chocolate chip merengue cookies.
there were mini leek/zuchini matza kugels, with egg. probably 3-4 total over the course of cooking and the rest of the night.
there was home made corned beef and brisket, I had a taste of each
a few bites of matza and roasted eggplant dip
slice of sponge cake
bite of chocolate covered matza
3 deviled eggs, light on the mayo
chicken soup with two little matza balls.
Sunday April 4
half mini kugel, 1/4 dark chocolate covered matzo.
slice pizza
bunch of coconut water
one bag cool ranch doritos. Not the biggest bag, but not an individual serving ;)
green apple pie yogurt - it was an all natural brand, no corn syrup etc., and it was on sale - it was delicious! There were bits of apple and the yogurt was tart and delicious. Not as many grams protein as greek yogurt, but a delicious treat @110 calories, 7 g protein, and no artificial sweetners or ingrdients. Sweetened with fruit juice.
Monday morning: April 5
iced tea with skim milk
2 pieces string cheese.
nice slice of sponge cake. - it is kosher for passover, and very yummy.
strawberry banana greek yogurt.
3 chix meatballs
Japanese bento box – skipped soup and salad, ate breaded chix breast with sauce, half of white rice, three small shrimp dumplings, 6 piece cali roll, one bite spicy tuna roll
Chinese for dinner: 2 crispy shrimp w sauce, 6 broccoli, 4 pieces chicken in garlic sauce, brown rice – less than half a portion. 2 fortune cookies
Tuesday April 6
.25 cucumber, bite hummus, bite eggplant dip
2 cheese sticks
Water with k2o and 2 benefibers.
godiva milk chocolate bar with almonds
3 jell rings
grilled chicken kebab, yogurt sauce, small portion fries, bit of salad with sprinkle of feta. was not a small portion, but deelish!
and I am ready to eat again...this is all sorts of no good!


Yana, Glad to see your back! I hope your dr appointment goes well and you get some great helf for going forward.
ReplyDeleteAs for the lady business, I have PCOS and it really messes with my cycles. I can easily go 3,4,5,6 or more months without anything. My old doc said that was fine and actually gave me pills that stopped my period for 18 months straight (years ago, but I went off them too).
My current doctor flipped out when I told her and wanted me to go on hormones to get started again especially since 3-6 month cycles put you at high risk for so many things. I wanted to wait just a little longer since it had only been a couple months at that point.
I went from 90+ days to a 65 day cycle the month before surgery. The first after surgery was 45 days and every one since then has been the normal 27/28 days. I have never ever been this regular before - even when I was on the pill (strangly enough).
I think a huge part of this is due to the weight loss, but since things started getting a little better right before the weight loss I think part of it is due to the Metformin that I am taking. It helps stabilize my insulin which is thrown out of wack by the PCOS (one part of PCOS is insulin resistance). For some reason if your insulin is out of wack it messes up your other hormones (or something like that)
So long story short: For me it has gotten 100x better, but I think the speed the recovery is partly the non-hormone medication I am on. If your problems are due to a similar problem it should get better as you lose weight (since insulin and other hormones stabalize). However, if you are pushing that 3-6 month mark you might want to try a non-hormone medication or try the hormones for a month and get back off. Hopefully after another 3-6 months go by things will start to regulate themselves.
Oh.. by the way I was on the metformin before and it didn't yeild this great of result - even though it did help some. I even lost weight and didn't have this great of result. I think this time it is a combo of the metformin, weight loss, a healthy diet, and exercise. All of these together I think has made the difference that I am seeing.
ReplyDeleteHappy belated Birthday to you!! So glad you had a fun time and nice to hear from you again.
ReplyDeletei had the opposite problem-too much bleeding that didn't quit. I can report though that time and the weight loss (not sure which) has sorted it out very well. There is no reason to think the weight loss wont help. I would try the medication periodically. The funny thing is that they put me on the pill the same as they did you but for opposite issues. I didn't like it either (nuva ring is supposedly the lowest dose of hormones). It was the best I had tried but I still didn't like it. I used it for a year then went off-things are back to normal and I so far have been 'normal'.
ReplyDeleteTina
Happy belated bday Yana!
ReplyDeleteI'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you re: the new round of meds.
I'm always eager to see your new posts! happy belated bday too! Can't wait to see you in your fancy new dress from Catherine. Definitely take pics! I eventually want to get pregnant but not at this moment...
ReplyDeleteHappy Belated!!
ReplyDeleteI also have PCOS. I was fortunate to not have any trouble having children but about three years after I was done I would go months w/o a period, months turned into years.. I was given metformin but soon after was told I needed a hysterectomy due to fibroid tumors...(kept my ovary, only had one as I lost one with my first baby she was 10lbs 8oz and it was a rough delivery)
I really believe all the years of not having a normal cycle contributed to my weight gain along with the PCOS & IR.
Hope the fill goes smoothly!
Can't wait to see the pics too.
Glad to hear you are ok. Good luck on the meds and fertility. excited to see pics of the dress with you in it :-)
ReplyDelete