Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Beating Obesity - Magazine - The Atlantic

Beating Obesity - Magazine - The Atlantic

This is a long article about why people come to the point of WLS - the author had bypass, but I think his analysis of the “social costs associated with being obese,” are equally valid for bandsters...he writes:

There is a way to beat obesity. But it is radical and expensive. No other diet or weight-loss approach is remotely as effective as bariatric surgery. Most people who seek it out have tried everything else. Many of them can pinpoint the moment they concluded that they had no other choice.

Mine came late in the afternoon on June 13, 2008, when I learned that Tim Russert, the Meet the Press host, had died of a sudden heart attack at NBC’s Washington bureau. I didn’t know Russert well, but as I sat at my desk, my tolerance for the status quo ended. I’m 30 years old, I remember thinking. I can’t spend another decade like this. I Googled bariatric surgery Washington D.C.



6 comments:

  1. What a neat comment about taking action after Russerts death. I am so glad that you will have many more years of health and enjoy the thin body. I still wish the band was available 26 years ago (when I was 30).

    I don't know why we are getting fatter but know there is no easy way to stop it. When I visited China 10 years ago, almost all the older people were thin and the young boys (one child policy) were pretty plump. McD's and KFC were opening stores all the time and they were packed with these plump boys brought in by their parents. It was sad, as I could see that they were going to struggle just like the western world with weight issues.

    Well we are going to beat it. And we are going to thumb our noses at anyone who says that the band is a cop out. Thanks for posting the link. It was very good. We do need a war for health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I remember the exact moment when I decided. It was after trying to doing a hike and feeling so horrible I wanted to cry. I took a shower, and immediately sat down, still in my towel, and Googled the lap band. (I had looked into it a year or two before but dismissed it). That night, I told my husband I wanted the surgery, and a month later I had my band!

    Now to read the article...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article, thanks. I love what he says about "Fat Porn." Shows like Biggest Loser are helping no one -- except the viewers enjoying this form of "porn"....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article and video.. I really like the one lady that said get rid of the clothes as you lose the weight.. amen to that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am going to read the article. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great article. Thanks for sharing.

    My point was one afternoon at work when I was purusing the Weight Watchers message board, as I debated doing it once again. I stumbled across a post from a woman who'd had the band and was doing WW. Her words struck a chord with me. I googled lap band, found LBT, called my insurance company (only to find out it wasn't covered), left work, and called my mom who'd always promised to pay for it if I wanted. I did all of this in one afternoon. The next day, I made an appt with a surgeon. Had the appt 3 weeks later and was banded 3 weeks after that. Less than 6 weeks start to finish. Lest anyone think I was being rash, I had mulled it over in the back of my head for years...but once I decided, it was a done deal!

    ReplyDelete