Holy schikey!
I was just looking at Sandy Lee's blog and and she mentioned that it is only 10 weeks to Christmas as of yesterday...that means that it is less than ten weeks to my one year bandaversery! I had my surgery Dec 22, 2009. My weight when I started the process was 280, or a little bit more. My weight on the day of surgery, after a 2 week liquid protein diet was 264. I was wearing a size 2x/22.
...As of right now, my weight is hovering between 223 and 226, which means I have lost about 40 lbs post surgery. I can wear size 16 in many things, and an XL from most chain stores like Ann Taylor, J Crew, etc.
I haven't really lost any weight from June...I was 224.5 on June 12th. The lowest number I ever saw on the scale was 222.5, for about a minute. I am reading my blog posts from June, and I am talking about how I have stalled, I have plateau'd...how I need to drink more water and start exercising and being accountable...and here I am, almost 6 months later, and I have done exactly NOTHING!!!
I can understand reasons why I have been here so long...I feel like I can eat whatever I want, just in limited amounts. I don't make decisions not to have x or y if I want it. I am not using my self control, just the band control. Also, I've been at this weight before. For a very long time. This is the weight that I know myself at...this is the last weight I have clothes at...I have the smallest batch of clothes that I own in the my closet right now. Some of it is still too snug to wear in public, but it all pretty much fits. And once I lose another 20 lbs, it pretty much won't, I suspect. I will be at a new stage in life, back to middle of college weight...which will be awesome but scary and new...
To be fair, I haven't gained weight, I've maintained pretty well. But I haven't lost weight since JUNE! And I have heard that the first year with the band is the best time to lose weight.
I am disappointed in myself. I need to make concrete goals and figure out how to make meeting them easier. I would really like to have lost 100 lbs my first year, but that is obviously not going to happen. What I would like to see is to lose two pounds a week in the next ten weeks, so I can say that I have lost 60 pounds from the day I had my surgery. This will make my overall weight loss about 80 lbs, and is entirely respectable. There is also a chance that I will make it into Onederland by New Year.
I think I know how to make it happen -
1. drink water. i need to drink water. lots of water. tea will be the way - i will buy and keep different tasty teas to have at work. hot liquids go down easier, especially in the morning. i will also make sure I have crystal light, etc. packets if I am not drinking water.
2. increase protein. a few things.
a) eat one greek yogurt a day
b) start eating string cheese every day like I did the first 6 months of my weight loss. I would eat 200 calories of string cheese, and they would help keep me full and add protein to my diet.
c) start drinking protein shakes, one per day. i hate them, but i have to do it. i have a bunch of them, so I will use them. when I run out, I will evaluate if I will continue.
3. exercise. I am going to try to do the bikram yoga. it made me feel amazing. I am going to pack bags tonight with exercise clothing to put on in the morning, toiletries to shower with, and work clothes to put on afterwards. I am going to give myself a goal of 5 bikram classes this week, every morning. I think I could do that, just the five classes. I'll buy a week intro pass, and just do it.
I will be surprised if I don't get below 220 by Friday if I follow all of these goals.


Hey Yana, Reality checks can be harsh, but there is a reason we need to do them. Not having weight loss these past 6 months is not the result you wanted when you chose surgery...so I am afraid to say that the thing you have to do is really start from scratch--physically and emotionally. What can you do to restart things? You have a great list started, but how are you going to make those things go from things on paper (or on the screen in this case) to reality. This is really going to take a brand new effort on your part. I wish you the best, I know that you can change things. :)
ReplyDeleteway to self-evaluate Yana-I cannot tell you the number of times I have had to do exactly what you are doing. I am finding focusing on just one or two things is helping. I am also finding that it is easier to say no to something (like cutting out coffee) than it is saying I will do more..like drink water or exercise. Good luck!! and see you soon.
ReplyDeletexxxooo
Its good to self reflect. My surgery is in 4 weeks. In previous diets I have always lost a bit of weight - felt pretty hot - started relaxing - gained weight - over and over. I would be thankful that instead of gaining you have plateau'ed. This post has helped me put an action plan into place for when I plateau. Thank you! :)
ReplyDeleteI hope you see under 220 soon :)
back to the basics baby! you can do it!
ReplyDelete