Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Esophaguses and stuff

Today I had a vanilla soy protein drink, a lentil soup, 2 cup of soups, a chocolate viviano smoothie from star$s and water...and I was ravenously hungry all day!!!

I am advancing myself to mushies tonight...just ordered chinese food of steamed chicken dumplings that hopefully come in very thin wrappers, egg drop soup, and tofu Schezhuan style which is all soft and creamy tofu in delish spicy sauce (I told them to go light on the oil, but I don't know if that will do anything) yummy! Will share w/E.

Now, why was I so scared of getting a bigger fill? I mentioned this last night - I am going on a trip to Bogota Columbia next weekend, which will be a six hour flight and three days in a city at high altitude! I will be in a new city, in a new country, on a new continent! One of the things I love is tasting another culture - this is not me wanting to be lose enough to eat crap at McDonald's - this is me not wanting to worry that I will PB all over the streets of Bogota!

The other fear, was the horrible agonizing acid reflux that I had been getting before I had the unfill. I think I jinxed myself in some way, because I had not had a twinge of it. Then the last time I was getting a fill from Dr. K, I noticed that there was a sheet on the radiator - she told me those were the Band Rules. I told her I knew all about them, and she told me they had updated them and mentioned not eating or drinking before bed and not taking any meds before bed. I kinda dismissed it, because I was a seasoned bandster of 6 months, I knew what restriction was, and blah blah blah...well, I ended up with a sinus infection and taking antibiotics. Took days 1-3, no problems, but took day 4 right before bed...and boy did I suffer! I woke up choking on acid! had to sit up for hours...nothing helped. To make a long story short, I basically had a 3 week bout of acid reflux. I started taking Prilosec per the office's instructions, but that didn't really help. I had the unfill, and felt instantly better.

Now I read some literature at the office this week that warned about esophagitis, having your esophagus irritated by pills stuck above the band. Nothing bigger than a tic tac! Now, I HATE crushing pills, so I hope that making sure they are small (like m and m size) and not taking them right before bed will solve this issue, but I am worried - what has been your experience?

1 comment:

  1. I hated crushed pills and still do. I balanced in y head being thin vs. sucking it up and crushing the stupid pills. I took the crushing. I did have a tad bit of trouble with a crushed alieve one time (crushed it and chased it with a big old quick drink of water and it came launching back up). That prompted me to go to my surgeon and ask for my medication in liquid form (most medications can be mixed as a liquid if you ask)...be warned the liquid tastes just as bad as the crushed pill.

    ReplyDelete