So, news item number one: I accepted the offer and will start my new job on April 4th. It's all sorts of exciting and the "powers that be", i.e. overlords, seem like three great guys who are really sharp and actually care about people as well as their bottom line. A financial adviser that they work with and sponsored a speaking engagement for them last night told me that working with them was the best career decision I'd ever make. For whatever that is worth...there was the presentation at a steakhouse last night, after which we sat down, they ordered some wine and more food, and we talked business. We're all very excited. They want to basically let me build my own business within theirs, provide me with lots of support both in terms of administrative and back office (which I get none of now, unless I tell my one useless but very sweet para exactly what to do and then remind him ten times a day) and in terms of introductions and an established reputation in a very closely connected field. And they really seem to respect my knowledge and my ability to connect with people - which my current overlord does not, or at least makes sure that I do not know that he does. I'm not good at selling my current gig, because I don't respect it. I wouldn't send people there, but I hope this place is different. I see myself being wary, because I was excited last year and it turned out so badly...but hey, I hope and believe this place will be different.
Now, about those spasms - I was scared I would have to cancel the meeting last night! I went in for my esophogram yesterday, about 13 months late. The radiologist said nothing was going through! She asked me to sit for five minutes, and then took another film, and said a little had trickled through, but it was morning so don't worry too much. I went upstairs and met with the new doc at my practice because he is the only one who takes my insurance. (I am so excited that my new job will let me choose a new insurance plan that Dr. K will take!!!) He looked at the films, I told him I was having night coughs, choking on my own saliva, and throwing up quite a bit - he said I was too tight and I had a little bit of dilation above the band because food couldn't go through! He didn't say anything about eating too much, but that the band was too tight. Took out a cc, bringing me to approx. 7.5 ccs' in my Lappie. Made an appointment in three weeks, and said the symptoms ought to resolve by then. I asked if they would do another esophogram, but he said not if everything feels better.
So, I was a little bummed I had been in the red zone for so long without coming in, but was glad I would be feeling better. My friend X, who decided to get banded after seeing my pics on Facebook, was in for her own appointment after having surgery in December. She's down 47 lbs, I think! Go, X!!! We chatted for about an hour in the waiting room, and that was really nice. I got my car and drove out to the suburb where my new job will be - yes, I will be doing a reverse commute often, although I will be working in Manhattan, Brooklyn, etc. as well. Lots of meeting with clients outside of the office as well as inside the office. I had purposely left myself plenty of time, because I wanted to get my hair blown out, fix a broken nail, look for a new shell to wear under my suit, etc...well, I lasted through the hair until I was racked with the most incredible pain. It was inside my chest, inside my rib cage. Occasionally I had sharp shooting pains in my ears. It was double over and cry pain.My cell was dead, so I couldn't call unless I plugged in. People around me probably thought I was in the throes of heroin withdrawal or something!
I got to the luxe nail salon and spa next door where I had been planning to go to fix my nail. I basically took over their bathroom, charged my phone, and called NYU. At first they started to urge me to come in, but I started crying that I was in the suburb and I couldn't drive and could I please talk to someone. And of course throughout the reception was horrible and I kept dropping the phone and I couldn't go anywhere because I was plugged into the wall!
Eventually I talked to Frank and Gaspar, and they told me I was having esophageal spasms. That when the band is too tight, the esophagus is constricted and can't work properly. So when the band is loosened, especially by a decent amount, which 1 cc apparently is, the esophagus will spasm to basically shake itself out and get ready for business again.
Gaspar suggested some liquid Tylenol or Motrin for pain, tried to call in a prescription but NONE of the 5 pharmacies he called had it - I didn't have the numbers with me, he was googling the name of the town + pharmacy and calling places - what an amazingly nice guy! and then suggested I take Prilosec and some Pepto instead. I also drank a warm chai, which helped a lot. After about 3 hours of intense pain, in waves of crying and lip biting to just plain OUCH! it completely subsided! I was sore, but fine. I looked a mess! Puffy, swollen, etc. I slapped on some Touch Eclat, a little cream blush, lip stain, gloss, eyebrow gel (keeps me looking sharp, I feel!) and a little mascara. This was all in the' bathroom at the steak house. I also climbed into my Spanx panty house and didn't have a new shell, so stayed with the wife beater I had, but added pearls. And boy did I make nice. And I came out of there with a new job, a real firm new job. I told them I was buying a new place, so asked them for a written letter, they told me to write it and they would sign it. (I need this if I don't close before I give notice for my lender.)
Came home absolutely exhausted! Woke up before 6 am this morning, however! Grrr! To work, to make sure I have everything I need from my work computer and files before I give notice! Woooooo and Hooooooo!


I second the WOOOOO HOOOOO! Congrats. I have esophageal spasm occasionally but never really painful. Usually just keeps me from swallowing. I now pre-eat or drink something before my main food. Seems to relax it a bit.
ReplyDeleteBut Woooo Hoooo again. I hope the new job is your dream job.
Doc gave me meds for GERD but after reading your post, I think I have the same. I have this pressure in my chest, the occasional chest pain and then pain under my right breast bone. I also cant eat anything right now...Iam thinking tomorrow I am gonna have 1ccs taken out and go from there! Wish you the best!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on the new job! And glad you are feeling better!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your new job Yana! I hope you're feeling a bit better.
ReplyDeleteWow, way to recover! Good luck with the new job & hope your band is being nicer after the unfill!
ReplyDeleteOh no that sucks about the spasms, but thankfully they're temporary. Isn't Gaspar the best? I had an unfill the other day and he wasn't able to get to my port, and was soo sad about.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the job!!!
Congrats on the new job...dang on the spasms thing. I have had them before (pre-band) and they are hell. I hope things are moving well again and you have good restriction too!
ReplyDeletexxxooo
It was really great to meet you today! Hope we can do it again soon :)
ReplyDeleteHi Yana! So sorry to hear that you are having problems with your Esophagus! I have been having similar symptoms too, but have been afraid to go to the Doctor about it. I am sure that they would want to remove some fluid.
ReplyDeleteI have been having reflux day and night, but mostly at night when I lay down...:( And just about anything that I eat brings it on, even hours after eating!!! It is getting to the point that I am afraid that I will start to have erosion problems with my Esophagus!