Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Back to three times a day posting...

Yes, it's true...I am back to being a blogging fool, and I hope it helps...I see a direct correlation between when I was blogging frequently and losing weight rapidly.

Last night E and I cleaned the kitchen and cooked a stew...I had bought some veal shanks and they'd been sitting in the freezer for months...I had made a great albeit complicated osso bucco for valentine's day, and was planning to recreate it...but I started my job and there it sat, frozen and sad. We're thinking we might be moving, so although we don't dare say it, because we haven't signed a contract just yet, so I think we are on the same page about cleaning out the fridge...so, I made a pretty  band friendly stewy meal.

In a large flat pan, I used about a teaspoon of olive oil to brown the veal shanks on high heat after a nice sprinkle of Paul Prudhomme's Blackened Pork and Veal Magic. I am not usually a fan of spice mixes, but his are awesome! In a Dutch oven, I browned some roughly chopped onion and four cloves of garlic. Added the veal into the onion after a bit, deglazed the skillet with white wine (cause it was open) and some port. Added water and rosemary, and let it cook on the stove top for an hour or two...then added one cubed potato and one cut up pattypan squash, cause it was lonely in the fridge. Stuck it into the oven OVERNIGHT at 200 degrees. Man was that good! Had a very small serving for breakfast.

Options: could have used various cuts of beef as well. Could've added carrots and/or celery to the onion while it sauted. Could've added chunks of carrots or parsnips with the potato. Could've used red wine or broth or even all water.

Added fat was minimal...if they meat is greasy or the liquid looks oily after cooking, chill it overnight and skim of the fat that solidifies before heating and serving. Even yummier the next day.

If the liquid runs low, you can add some water, bring it to a simmer for a few minutes and it's good to go.

Feel free to add fresh herbs before serving, or a sprig or two of thyme to the pot with the rosemary.

Now, my food...I had a little tiny serving of this for breakfast around 9 am. I worked from home for a few hours this morning, then went to do a seminar at a local facility. Was hungry for lunch at 1.30, and decided instead of chinese or thai to have subway...I had eaten subway a bunch after being banded, and that was before I had restriction. I would get the bread toasted and scooped out...I had the usual, except I asked for double turkey to get extra protein. And I ate the whole size inches. Lite mayo + mustard. And a little bag of Cool Ranch Doritos. And a bottle of Minute Maid Lemonade. Grrrr.
 At work, had 2 100 cal granola bars. And a tiny donut...PEACH! Ha, gotchya there!
Of course I made up for it by having Popeye's for dinner. Small mac and cheese, 130 calories according to them and Buffalo Nuggets - they were pieces of chicken, not "nuggets". One bite of biscuit only.

Now I am simmering CSA carrots with a little spice to nibble on as a snack tomorrow. Let's see what the weight is in the morning...

I also had a few more bites of stew and some carrots - but about 3 bites total!

And I am drinking mango iced tea w Splenda like it is going out of style!

2 comments: