originally posted October 2, 2009
Sometimes, well, often, I realize that one of my personal problems is lack of follow through.
I always have great ideas, I’m known for it, actually. I talk about them, I research them, and I take the first step…and then things go by the wayside…as soon as there is something that doesn’t go my way, I just leave it, and go dance off to something else…
But I had a great conversation with my friend Rachel last night – and we talked about how only doing what you do well is very limiting. I had tried something new at work yesterday, and I was terrified. I was scared I was going to mess up, embarrassing myself and injuring my client. But I knew I was allowed to do it, that I would probably be fine, and I went ahead. It was exhilarating. I was so proud of myself.
Why am I writing about this? Because I am scared that my initial enthusiasm about the band will waver when there is a slight block. Because I know how eagerly and enthusiastically I started ten quadrillion other diet and exercise plans to only fail…Because I know some people do fail with the band…I hate to be pessimistic, and I swear, I’ve been meaning to be only positive and maybe even read the Secret! (Shhhhh! My friends would totally tease me, because I've ragged on it for so long!)
But please, tell me really, truly, that the band makes all the difference! That it helps your initial enthusiasm stay on track. I guess I’m asking, why is this time different from all the others?
I always have great ideas, I’m known for it, actually. I talk about them, I research them, and I take the first step…and then things go by the wayside…as soon as there is something that doesn’t go my way, I just leave it, and go dance off to something else…
But I had a great conversation with my friend Rachel last night – and we talked about how only doing what you do well is very limiting. I had tried something new at work yesterday, and I was terrified. I was scared I was going to mess up, embarrassing myself and injuring my client. But I knew I was allowed to do it, that I would probably be fine, and I went ahead. It was exhilarating. I was so proud of myself.
Why am I writing about this? Because I am scared that my initial enthusiasm about the band will waver when there is a slight block. Because I know how eagerly and enthusiastically I started ten quadrillion other diet and exercise plans to only fail…Because I know some people do fail with the band…I hate to be pessimistic, and I swear, I’ve been meaning to be only positive and maybe even read the Secret! (Shhhhh! My friends would totally tease me, because I've ragged on it for so long!)
But please, tell me really, truly, that the band makes all the difference! That it helps your initial enthusiasm stay on track. I guess I’m asking, why is this time different from all the others?


I have been banded for 13 months - it was the single best decision that I've made in my life. I have lost 86lbs in that time, I have run a 10km fun run, I have had to buy a whole new wardrobe - I feel and look fabulous.
ReplyDeleteThere are times when I choose unhealthy foods or get a bit lazy and stop working out but the band always minimises the damage.
The band gives you the ability to be able to focus on making great behavioural changes while it helps you to stay satiated - this is my biggest tip - use that time to make the changes that you need to your behaviours to make this a long term solution.
All the best for your journey.
Hi there :)
ReplyDeleteI saw you on my followers and wanted to pop in. First up, let me say that choosing the band will be the single most wonderful thing you will ever do for yourself. I assume since you went into my blog you have probably seen it's not all plain sailing (what weight loss plan ever is.. where's that magic pill!!) but I do want to say not once.. not ever, ever once have I looked back and gone.. damn! I wish I hadn't done this.
I really do love the way this band keeps me in check. Like Jodie Flynn above (I've posted about this too lol) I have also had 'off' days where I can't be assed or I have eaten the wrong things.. but you know the big difference I have found? It's a mental state.
Instead of going, 'Oh, bugger it!!', I stuffed up, my diet's ruined, I'm just going for broke, I NEVER do that now..honestly, I don't. I wake up the next morning and go.. 'Well, you know what. I did the wrong thing, ate too many (but not too much) of the wrong things.. today is a new day,' and I get on with it. It's like the band just keeps you mentally in check 24/7.
I really hope you do this just for you. I am glad I did. And let's face it.. WE are the ones we need to keep happy. If we are.. well others around us are happy too.
I look forward to reading about your date and other posts that come (if you follow through.)
Warmest regards
Cara x
Like you, I haven't been banded yet. But from what I've read, one of the great things about the band is that you can't really throw in the towel. I've also tried tons of diets and often quit after a mess up, I have such an all or none mentality with dieting. But when you physically can't eat a ton it's hard to get too off track. I've had the same fears as you though. Most recently I've become terrified of losing all the weight and then finding a way to put it all back on (which has happened many, many times). Anyway, I saw you're following my blog and I'm looking forward to sharing our journies as we get banded!
ReplyDelete