Practical post!
I understand it is really important to take vitamins after weight loss surgery, although, I am a little unclear why it is so important for bandsters. A diet of 1000-1200 calories is not shocking, many women who diet do this...since there is no issue of mal-absorption, as in a gastric bypass operation, why is it so important? I've heard from many people in the health care field that you should eat your vitamins instead of taking them. But maybe they types of food that work well with the band don't provide everything?
Regardless, it can't hurt! And as I can't stand chewable vitamins of the solid variety - gummi is fine! I am on the look for liquid or gummi vitamins to add to my regimen. A was sicky sick this weekend, so when I was in Trader Joe's I was excited to find some Orange Gummi C! (He also has a band, but it is pretty loose, so he can take pills without a problem.) It is super yummy and cute. The bottle cost about $5.00, and has 70 gummis. A dose is two of them, and provides you with 240 mg of Vit C, 400% of the RDA...we may have been popping more than that over here, at Casa de Band, but A was fighting his cold and I was protecting myself! There are 15 calories per serving (2 gummis) and while they do contain glucose syrup and sucrose, at least it isn't corn syrup. They also contain gelatin, so not suitable for vegetable-arians and kosher folks. Gluten free, though (my baby brother has Celiac so I am always aware. ) No preservatives or artificial colors. Also milk, egg, soy and peanut free.
A new staple at Casa de Band. Any vitamin suggestions are welcome!!!


Hey Yana,
ReplyDeleteYou hit the nail on the head. The reason it's so important to take the vitamins when banded is exactly because when you are taking in such small amounts of food, it might not be covering all your nutritional needs on a day to day basis. You need to take ones that cover all the bases (I can't remember how many its supposed to have but it's a lot)
Check that one out with your doc or nutritionist. They will know better :)