Sunday, October 25, 2009

Surgery Consult - I have questions for you bandsters!

So, on Friday, I met with the team at NYU - Rachel the nutritionist, Frank the nurse, and Dr. Kurian. My mama came with me for all the appointments, and E (I've referred to my boyfriend as both A and E. It's the same dude, but I will aim for consistency!) joined us for the last one, with Dr. Kurian. Here's a summary for those people that are interested - I was interested! - and a few questions that I would really appreciate if people weighed in on!

Nutritionist - She was nice, but it didn't seem personal at all. She basically just went through a hand-out. Got the pre-op and post-op menus. Who wants to schedule a protein tasting in NY? (I am serious - it isn't cheap to try all the stuff, with the knowledge that you may hate it!) Also, (and I acknowledge that this is size-ism and isn't good either way) she is very tall and (I assume) naturally slender. She made a comment about how she went into this field because she loves food, and my mommy actually snickered and said "Really, because it doesn't show..."
I said, "Mama, that's not fair!" but I totally was cracking up on the inside.

Take aways: after I heal, an occasional (diet) soda or Pelegrino is not the end of the world! Woo hoo!

Also, my mom asked 'the question' : what about taking diet pills during the two week liquid diet before the surgery. The nutritionist was shocked and horrified and chanted No No No...! Is this such a crazy question? I am sure many of us have tried various diet pills before, and they do work while you take them...

I'm not that concerned about two weeks on liquids. It's just two weeks, there is an end date in sight, it is for safer surgery, etc. Also, I think many of us, especially in the begging, struggle with the idea that we are somehow "cheating" by getting WLS, and there is some sort of virtue achieved with a liquid diet...

OK, Nurse Frank was very nice. Weighed, measured, entered info into the computer, took a picture of me with the web cam...ugggh! I will post pics and measurements, by the way.

Take Away: I asked Frank what he saw in patients that have good success with the band. He said coming in once a month for a fill, or just to check in is a great idea. As long as my insurance covers it, I have no problem with that!

Surgeon: So, she hasn't operated yet, but I really, really like Dr. Kurian. She doesn't act like a stereotypical surgeon. She took her time, explained silly things to my Mama - like why you can't place a band with an epidural ;)

Here are my QUESTIONS FOR BANDSTERS:

1. Which band? Did you have a choice? Why did  you choose the one you have? Why does your Dr prefer one to another?

2. Single incision (single) vs. multiple incisions (multiple). Anyone?

Here's a write up of the conversation with the Dr:

Single takes about 80-90 minutes, vs. about 20 minutes for a multiple. Less time under anesthesia is better.

The placement of the port varies in the Single and Multiple. In the single, a crescent shaped cut is made around the belly button. The incision is about three inches. The port is placed close to the belly button. The Dr says that when you lose a lot of weight, the port is still not visible with this placement. On the other hand, there is an issue if you plan to get pregnant...the practice I go to has a large number of Ultra Orthodox Jews, who don't use birth control. The Dr said she doesn't even offer the single incision to these patients, because she knows they will be pregnant within a year and she is concerned about the placement of the port. She wants you to have some time to let the port integrate into the body. She asked if and when I planned to get pregnant, and said she would do the single incision if it was at least two years away, which it is - my plan is to try and get pregnant by 35, which will be two years and 3 months after my surgery.She had one patient who had a C-section, and the Dr. accidentally cut the line from the port to the band.

When the Dr places a Realize Band, she has to use a special instrument. It requires a slightly larger incision in the Multiple. Doesn't factor in Single incision.

While I like the idea of a single incision, I think I want the port placed higher, under the ribs. The lower placement somehow feels more vulnerable. And I do plan to have babies, so that is definitely a concern...

HELP! Any feedback would be welcome!

9 comments:

  1. Good luck to you on your journey! Awesome blog! I have the Allergan Band (5 incisions), so I'm not sure about your questions on the Realize. My Surgeon says both bands are basically the same. It's up to you... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like your appointments went well! I also had a choice of band, and actually the same question on my blog. Even after everyone's responses I felt like I couldn't decide which was better so I will be getting the lap band, which I chose simply because it's the one my doctor has done more of. I figured the more experience the better. I will be getting multiple incisions (I actually hadn't heard of the one), and if you do want to get preggo, I agree that multiple might be the best idea. Plus, things don't always work out as planned so even if you don't plan to get preggo for more than two years, you might change your mind, or things just might happen differently!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that's interesting. You actually get a choice about the band AND a single or multpiple op? Who knew.
    Ok for what it's worth here is how it went for me. I have a realize band: it holds 10 ml (cc) capacity and so far it's doing wonderfully. I also had the five points during surgery. And if you plan on getting pregnant down the track I would def opt for that one. The port should be sitting (though all docs are different) just above and to the left of your belly button: where they can attach it to the wall muscle. I think giving you too many choices is actually harder because let's face it. It's all so new to us and do we actually have a clue about any of this? I feel for you: the mind boggles. Good luck with your decisions :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yana! Dr. Kurian came in to do my second fill when Frank had to poke me three times and couldn't find it. We came to learn that my port was tilted, hence the issue. Dr. Kurian was so incredibly nice...I really liked her!

    I have the lap band. I actually didn't get a choice, but I would have opted for the lap band, just because it's been out there longer. I have the small lap band (10 cc's). That being said, I've heard there aren't really many differences between the two.

    I do not like the nutritionists there. I find them to both be very flat and not at all passionate about what they do. I also - and this is sizest - but they are both so thin, especially Rachel. Most people in that office have a band, I find it interesting that the nutritionists are just naturally skinny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My doctor said that he prefers the Realize band for a couple of reasons. First, the band is slightly wider and he feels that it helps reduce the risk of slippage. He mentioned that he hasn’t had a single slippage since he started using Realize (he used to see 1 or 2 a year which is still really low). He also said that he really likes the website that Realize has and feels that people who use it (or something similar) seem to have been results.

    My doctor doesn’t offer the 1 incision surgery yet. However, I think that I would also go with the multiple incisions for the same reasons you listed. It just seems like there is less risk for complications later.

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy that now I can follow your blog- i just wasted an hour of my employer's time reading it all. I'm crossing my fingers...and promise to help you out with some winter clothes next year. If I can find them.....
    I've been through like five sizes in the past year, so i definately have a selection ;)
    In the mean time, I'll keep following. Mwah from all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I echo everyone's comments regarding interesting info! I didnt know all of that stuff myself! I have the Lapband brand. My doc at the time of my surgery either did Lapband or Realize...I didnt care or know enough at the time to ask about the differences. So far, I have been really happy with it. My port not real low, or real high, and I have multiple incisions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your appointments going so well. I have the lap band. I decided on the lap band because Dr fielding has had more experience with the lap band and I feel like he knows all there is to know about that one. I originally had the single incision in my belly button and my port placed there but due to some unusual complications I now have my port just above my waist line on the left.
    Good luck on this journey you must be so excited!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like most of the other posters here, I didn't know you had a choice in band or port placement. I do have a friend that had a choice in port placement though. I have a Realize brand band. My procedure was single incision. I'm on the fence about kids and was told if I decided to have a child I would have to wait at least two years. I'm 29 so that isn't a big deal for me. I'll make that deadline if I ever decide to have kids. Hope this helps. Even though you've already been banded, if you have any questions about the single incision I'll be happy to help however I can.

    ReplyDelete