Monday, December 27, 2010

My Plan for Success Revisited --- Entry #2 Today

Here is a list I made last December, before surgery. I'm going to weigh in on how I've been doing!

My idea is that this week will be a week of reflection and soul searching. I'm going to be honest with myself and you guys. Then I'm going to pick a new item every week to focus on, starting on Monday. It will be a New Year's Resolution to be CONSCIOUS, NOT LAZY and LIVE THE LIFE I WANT TO HAVE.

I also think I have a problem with avoidance. I don't mind if I eat something because I am with friends at a great restaurant. I don't want to eat cookies at home because I am stressed out. So another important thing is to NOT AVOID UNPLEASANT THINGS!

1. Avoid liquid calories as much as possible. Well, I never keep caloric bevvies in the house other than skim milk every once in a while, about once a month I get a small container. I drink water, tea, lemonade with splenda, sugar free drink mixes, etc. We have wine in the house, but I very rarely drink it unless we are entertaining. I do have a glass of wine or a cocktail when I am out, but I think I don't have more than about 8 drinks in a given month, maybe even less, so I am ok with that. 
I will very occasionally have a Tropicana OJ, one of my favorite things since I was a kid, but again, ok with those 200-300 calories per month. I don't drink coffee, so my starbucks weakness is chai lattes. I know a few of you share this weakness - I don't have them often, I would say 2-3 per month, and while I could skip them, I do enjoy them. My co-workers often run out to the 'buck, and I just tell them, No Thanks! Save money and calories. My go to hot beverage when I crave something "fancy" are steamers! I get these in the mornign on the way to the train sometimes.Steamed milk with sugar free syrup is hot, has some body and protein from the milk. Also sometimes get hot tea with spenda and milk. I don't really do soda. Doesn't feel great, so I don't do it. Very occasionally (less than once a month) I will have maybe half a cup with ice to savor. Room for improvement: I'm pretty ok with my beverages.

2. Avoid soda and carbonated beverages. I don't really do soda. Doesn't feel great, so I don't do it. Very occasionally (less than once a month) I will have maybe half a cup with ice to savor. Room for improvement: I'm ok with my soda consumption.

3. Avoid drinking with a straw, as it can cause gas and be uncomfortable. I do it. It doesn't bother me.
Room for improvement: I haven't had any problems. I don't use a straw often, just because i don't drink soda.

4. Make sure I get enough protein every day. 60-80 g per day. BAD GIRL!!! I know I don't get enough protein and I suspect that is slowing my weight loss. This will definitely be an area to work on!
5. Make sure I get enough fiber! Eh. I have a hard time with leafy greens, so I should use more benefiber added to drinks. I never mind it when I do, I just never get around to it...but it is good when I do. Will have to incorporate this into my life more.
6. Take supplements: multi, calcium, and biotin every day. Right now I got gummis, cause I love the way they taste. Might switch to chewables later, as they do have a bit of sugar. I suck at this. Period. I buy and don't take..
7. Make sure I get plenty of fluids, 8 glasses a day! No good. Must drink more water. Big problem. I don't pee clear anymore. I used to...that's how to check if you are properly hydrated, your urine should be clear or very pale. When it is dark or bright yellow, that is no good!!!
8. Stop drinking 5 minutes before a meal, and wait 20 minutes after. This is what my Dr. recommends. Started out very strictly, then I was slacking on this, but have recently started to be firmer with it. Must continue to do so.
9. Eat slowly and chew well. I vary. I need to definitely continue to pay attention to this. Sometimes I let myself get hungry and this is a problem.
10. Move 30 minutes a day. Even if this is just walking to do errands, etc...move 30 minutes a day. This is what I am shooting for right now, at least until the end of January. At that point, I will re-evaluate my exercise goals.Couch to 5K, bootcamp, hot yoga, etc...these will all come, and I am excited about them. However, I know that I need to a) get into an exercise routine and b) not push myself when I am healing and c) will be more fun and manageable when I am a little smaller. Not good. Need to work on this, a lot!!!
11. Follow my ten day liquids, and ten day mushy food diet after surgery.
12. Come in to see the Dr. monthly my first year. - I wasn't perfect, but I was pretty good. It is quite inconvenient. I have an appointment scheduled Wednesday, but I couldn't schedule an esophogram beforehand because of the storm today, so I will reschedule for next month so I can have my one year exam. Dr. K doesn't take my new insurance, so they offered the new doc, but I want her!
13. Enjoy the foods I love in smaller, healthy amounts so I can continue to loose weight AND feel good about my quality of life. I still overeat a bit. need to work on that. See, eating of pasta, below.
14. Keep blogging! It is my support group. I was slacking. But I am going to try and fix that.
15. Try the support group at NYU...it's not terribly convenient, but I def. want to try it, at least once before my birthday, at the end of March...maybe some of you will be there! Never made it. Will do it! Just emailed my friend about going with me.
16. Keep a food diary. I may do it online as the end of my blog entries, as I find I need the accountability. There have been times in the last two weeks when I did not eat something cause I knew I would have to write it down. And others where I knew it and did it anyway. Back to it. Starting today. Which will not be pretty but I need to be honest.


Today:
fage greek yogurt, low fat, with strawberry
v. small white choc macadamia cookie

1 hot pocket
peanut brittlecheezits
pasta with tomato basil sauce and parm cheese - two servings. maybe three.
cheezits, part deux

Exercise: none


Fluids: one cup of tea with splenda, half a mason jar of lemonade 16 ounces.

5 comments:

  1. Welcome back and what a great couple of posts---60 pounds is good and you will keep working on it...you have a lifetime. I love your idea of living the life you want to have. I do it..not perfectly because no one is perfect but pretending to live like who you want to be soon turns into reality!

    xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to see you blogging again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking about you! I'm glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back, Yana-- I often check for you and am rooting for you. I agree that you would really benefit from seeing a therapist-- I know it has helped me sort a lot out and I continue to go. It is a worthwhile investment of time and money.
    My take on things: You're trying to do too many things at once. Focus on getting ONE thing sorted out at a time. For example, focus on getting your water in daily. Drink 2 glasses in the morning before ANYTHING solid goes into your mouth-- then drink a glass before each meal and any time you want to eat something, drink a glass of water FIRST.

    Just this one focus may change a lot of things for you.
    Don't worry about exercise right now-- that can come later and it isn't the key to getting out of this weight range-- the key is lowering your calories.

    Last but certainly not least-- one year does not a lifetime make... you have the rest of your life to move ahead and keep losing.
    You made tremendous progress in your first year and you CAN continue!!

    ReplyDelete