Monday, November 30, 2009

Three weeks from today...I'll be packing for the hospital! And insurance woes

Wow, time is really moving...one week from today will be my last day of eating solids. I'll do two weeks of protein shakes, and then...D-Day, as I've been thinking of it.

I had a lovely Thanksgiving with my family...that means next year I won't be able to spend it with them, because A's parents are also local, and we made a deal ;). I really thought that the "last Thanksgiving" was going to be a huge deal, but it really wasn't...I had a plate of food, ate it, and didn't overdo it...didn't finish dessert either, and didn't have any issues with being uncomfortably stuffed. I seem to have reached a place where I can eat a bit more consciously. Part of this is because I am not worried about eating to loose weight right now. Don't get me wrong, it's not like the lbs are melting off...at all! But I find myself less into stuffing myself.

Oh, and insurance woes - I just got a bill from my surgeon consult for almost $500.00! Apparently my primary care Dr. didn't do an electronic referral to the surgeon - I didn't know they needed to. Now I have to file an appeal! Grrr! I really don't have an extra $500.00 around this month, especially cause I will have co-pays with the surgery. This is a new insurance, and I didn't know I needed it. An extra headache.

In other news, I think I have a new client that would be a constant stream of work. Not huge, but constant. I just need to "bid" on it...I haven't done a lot of this work, and I really don't know what to propose, and that would be the make it or break it point! I would be in a much better place if I had a steady stream of income. Right now, things are a little scary - I never know if I will have a good month or a bad month...and I'm not able to put anything away. This is one of the biggest sources of stress for me. I love working for myself, but I need to get to a place where an unexpected $500 expense isn't going to phase me...

4 comments:

  1. Everyone is different, but I can eat pretty much whatever (just not as much), so really, it doesn't have to be the "last" Thanksgiving. Next year (or the year after with your family) you'll enjoy it just as much, you'll just be satisfied with less. And congrats on giving up the cigarettes. You'll have crazy energy in the near future. That was my favorite part when I started this process. Especially if you have both the dietary change and no more smoking!

    Heather
    gettingbacktoskinnymini.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey-- we'll be doing the pre-op together, b/c I've decided to start a week early!!
    As for your bill, you have at least 3 months before they really start hounding you to pay, so you don't need to pay right now, file your appeal and don't sweat it.

    Funny, I just received a $700 bill for my pre-op testing (that I had for my surgery that I had to CANCEL)-- I'll be appealing that one b/c they didn't submit it to my insurance... I am self-pay, but the tests were EKG, blood work, etc, NOT banding surgery. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yana, could your doctor write a referral now and post date it? In the past I've done that and my kid's doctors do it all the time so I can take them without having to wait on paperwork. Maybe that would take care of the issue?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really comin' up soon now! wowsa! Congrats for you! Those wks flew by for me! And I hope you can get the insurance stuff straightened out, that is such a total hassle.

    ReplyDelete