Sunday, November 1, 2009

Exercise Blues

I need to exercise. Part of me has been thinking, oh, I will wait until I loose some weight to start exercising, but I think I need to start now!

To be completely honest, and I don't even like typing this, I get breathless just going up the stairs from the subway. When I walk up the two flights to my apartment, if I know my boyfriend is home, I pause to catch my breath before I go in the house!

I've tried to start moving more, if possible wear sneakers when I leave the house and maybe walk a few extra blocks...I think that is a great start, but I need to do more. How did you start your exercise regimes?

I recently canceled a ridiculously expensive gym membership, because there was no convenient branch...I'd been paying through the membership period (and to be fair, an extra six months because I didn't like the idea of canceling, like it was giving up somehow...), but I finally canceled because it is at least 45 minutes out of my way, and I need to tale a bus or subway! I had been there 4 times. Wow, is that embarrassing! It was a really posh place, and I joined so I could have no excuse of oh, it's yucky...but I still didn't go! I know I spent over $2,000.00 on those four visits! I'm putting off joining anything else right now, as funds are tight, so I think I will try to walk outside before the weather gets too cold. I have less than two months until my surgery, and I imagine for the first month at least after my surgery I won't want to do much besides walk, so I won't need a gym.

If anyone has suggestions for some easy exercising for someone completely out of shape, let me know!

5 comments:

  1. Yana - I am so not an exercise person. I didn't exercise a lot prebanding, but have just started to keep my weight loss going. I had to be honest with myself that I don't ever make time to get to a gym, so I got some new DVD's I can do in the privacy of my own home. :) I'm really loving The Biggest Loser Yoga right now.
    You are right that walking is the best after surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Linda. Forget the gym. Do the DVDs- Jillian Michaels Shred is good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with Linda and Gen - exercise videos are the way to go - just make sure you don't push yourself too hard to start with - or just walk. That's what I have done. Walk everywhere. Get yourself out there and circle the block :) Every little bit helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yana, I have an exercise training background (Master's degree in Occupational Therapy) and I used to teach people who were out of shape how to get into shape. I mean REALLY out of shape-- bedridden.
    Here's what you do: Walk a few extra blocks each day. Get off the subway a stop early on the way to work and on the way home each day. Add on to that. On Saturdays and Sundays, start out by just getting out of the house to intentionally take a 15 minute walk and do it. Put your sneakers on and go. Walking is the best exercise for you right now.
    Trust me, as time goes on, you'll begin to find ways to enjoy it and believe it or not, if you let it, your body will CRAVE the movement.

    Get out there and start moving... JUST Walk. Do not run, do not jog, do not force yourself to do calisthenics. Go easy on yourself. Better fitness will come in time and this is the way to stay UN-injured.
    Lots of luck!!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do a lot of resistence band work and shadow boxing. I used to box (spar) with a partner and a heavy bag, but I can't do that now because I have a really bad back. Doctors orders that I can't box anymore.
    I also have a Wii. HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!

    ReplyDelete