Wednesday, November 18, 2009

More recipe posting...Thai curry

So, while I am not banded yet, I have been planning meals that are good for my banded boyfriend to eat...

(Sidenote - our one year anniversary is this weekend, and I've been putting together a scrap box of photos and memories and little gifts - he's lost a lot of weight since last year, even though he doesn't think so! I know he is a little bit disappointed in his slow loss, but it is a world of difference. ALTHOUGH, he looked great then, and looks great now - you can see a picture of him in a post below from last May.)

I like white meat chicken, which is ok for him if it is saucy. Saucy it is, then, and I cooked up some Thai curry tonight...
THIS IS THE BASE - once you've made this you can add any arrangement of veggies and proteins!
In 1 tablespoon of coconut oil (cold pressed, organic - health benefits are huge, just google for more into), sweat one large onion, halved and thickly sliced and a chunk of ginger and a few large cloves of garlic, finely minced. Don't brown, just cook on low heat. Add to that a teaspoon or so of prepared Thai curry saucy - they come in small glass jars at all supermarkets. Then add one can of light coconut milk, bring to a simmer and cook for five minutes. Add 1-2 teaspoons Thai fish sauce, 3/4 cups of water, and 1 teaspoon brown sugar.
Now VEGGIES!
Add 1 one large yam, peeled and cubed or half a kabocha pumpkin, washed, unpeeled, and cubed - these are nutrient packed foods, with lots of anti-oxidants, and other good stuff. If you are one mushies, these are a much better bet than regular potatoes!
I also added some oyster mushrooms, largely chopped. Simmer for a bit, cause these veggies take the longest to cook. The other veggies I have added include broccoli, potatoes, swiss chard, kale, snow peas, carrots, string beans, yellow or red peppers, etc...I think you get the idea. Most veggies would be good, if you like them! This is also a good dish to make if you are cleaning out the fridge...just budget the cooking time according to how long the veggies take to cook.
ADD PROTEIN!
Shrimp, chicken, tofu...you know how long it takes to cook, so add it accordingly.

Adjustments...to cut calories, use half a can of the light coconut milk, and add more water, but it's not too bad.

Serve it up with fresh basil and cilantro and a lime wedge. You can add rice if someone wants to round out the meal.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing.. yum.. looking forward to trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delish..I love Thai food.
    Had the best time in Thailand a few years ago with a couple of friends. I will have to try this out

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! I noticed you are following my blog. I will be following yours too :). It looks like we will have surgery about a month a part. I wish you luck!

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. lolol me again - Antsus in the Pantsus.. classic.. so good and I'm still giggling. Must remember that one :)

    ReplyDelete