To make a loooooong story short, about two weeks ago I visited a gyno who specialized in fertility issues. I haven't been trying, but I plan to, and there are some indications that this will not go smoothly - a PCOS diagnosis. So I wanted to have a head start figuring out what options are available and maybe try some gentler ones. She felt my thyroid as part of the exam and mentioned I had some nodules and referred me to an endocrinologist. Well, the next day I was having trouble breating, rubbed my neck and discovered a HUGE lump. Ended up going to the ER, cause I'm a baby and it was the Jewish new year, so many docs in NY were unavailable. They did bloodwork, said thyroid was fine and sent me home with a diagnosis of a swollen lymph node caused by a mystery virus. Well, this did not sit well with me, so on Monday I got in for a sonogram with an endocrinologist.
The tech did a sonogram then I spoke with the doc. She got me in for a biopsy that same afternoon and told me that most likely it wasn't cancer. Most likely! You know I was picking out wigs for after chemo after that.
The biopsy came back negative. I've got two large thyroid nodules and a number of small ones. The thyroid is enlarged and I have thyroid antibodies, which means I have an autoimune disease that causes my body to attack my thyroid. Thyroid isn't producing well, so it grew itself to keep up with the required production amount of thyroid hormone. This is what I figured out after seeing three different doctors. Two suggested surgery, just cut the whole thing out!
The last doctor suggested I try Synthroid to ease the strain on my thyroid and maybe that would case the nodules to shrink. There is always time for surgery later. He also suggested weight loss.
I have had to tell a bunch of doctors that I had weight loss surger almost two years ago. And that I have "only" lost 50 lbs net - I'm around 238 now, maintaining but not losing. Which is a hell of a lot better than pushing 300, which is where I was, but it still feels like failure somehow. And of course, the doctor mentioned that losing weight would help and asked if I was keeping to my diet.
In good news, no heartburn at all for a while, and I even have been able to sleep without a ton of pillows.


Sorry to hear this-- have you gone back to Dr. K to discuss this latest diagnosis and maybe partner with her to figure out how thyroid meds might help your weight loss?
ReplyDeleteI have the 'never give up, never surrender 'attitude! Good luck with next steps on dealing with the thyroid issues-- I am unclear from your post about which has come first-- are your docs saying that the weight gain happened and then wacked out your thyroid or the other way around (which I think is more typical.) It would be sort of cruel for a doctor to tell a patient with thyroid issues, 'oh just go and lose weight, it's EASY,' because I believe that thyroid issues make it even harder to lose weight. So that's why I'm suggesting returning to Dr K-- maybe with this new info she can help prescribe the right drug regimen with a good endocrinologist and that will get your weight loss rolling again? Just my thoughts...
I have Hashimoto's too. I found out about 4 years ago. I was really scared before, as my Mom died of thyroid cancer. I've had several biopsies and sometimes there are tons of nodules, sometimes one or two. I don't even have to take medicine yet, but I do see in Endo twice a year. Good luck, I'm interested to hear how things go for you.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Dinnerland about figuring out if you need to get the thyroid functioning right. It might be why you are stalled with weightloss. It's such a finicky gland. My sister takes thyroid hormone all the time and it is a fine line between gaining and maintaining her weight. I hope all works out for you soon.
ReplyDelete