Sunday, September 19, 2010

Coming Back to the Real World...

It's time...I've been in San Francisco this entire week, visiting friends, hanging out, helping a good friend who is about to have a baby get ready...I haven't been near a scale in over a week now, so I don't know where I am at, but my band has been working...it's hard to eat much before noon, and even later I have great restriction.

It's a little interesting, being a total foodie tourist while being tightly restricted...I can't eat a lot, so I am faced with either "wasting" food or just not getting everything I want to try...I was trying to do a little of both. Something I have been thinking about a lot! (See below!) Saw some old friends that haven't seen me in a while...shared apps, then moved around most of the food on my plate and ate three bites of a burger sans buns. I definitely notice how slowly I eat...yesterday I ate the grilled beef of a noodle dish for about 45 minutes...

Yesterday was Yom Kippur, the big kahuna of Jewish holy days. It is a day of atonement, comes 10 days after the beginning of the Jewish year and is a time of reflection and atonement for the way we have lived our lives. I always look at it at a time to re-frame how I want to live my life. I went to Friday night services and thought about what changes I want to make.

The theme I kept coming back to was WASTE. I often buy groceries and either don't cook them or cook them and don't freeze them and they end up going to waste. I waste money on things that I think will make me feel good but don't, really. I waste time. I waste opportunities. And based on the AMAZING recycling they do here (they compost! every household!) I waste garbage that will end up in a landfill.

The big shift in how I live my life is going to be WASTE. I want to have less of it. So I will be setting some goals and writing about that here.

WASTE GOAL #1 RECYCLE
Stop filling landfills! I recognize that most places, including my home, don't have composting programs, so that might not be a viable method, but I am going to become very careful about sorting out every bit of recycling that I can, at home and at work.

WASTE GOAL #2 DON'T WASTE FOOD
- if I brought my lunch, eat it!
- if I cook it, portion it out and freeze it!
- if I bought the groceries, cook them!

WASTE GOAL #3 DON'T WASTE MONEY
- either start using or cancel my gym membership.
- make sure that I stop taking car services to work in the morning; make sure I am awake on time or just be a little late.
- not wasting food will help here - I want to spend less money on my food at work, not that I go too crazy, but I could spend less and eat better.

WASTE GOAL #4 DON'T WASTE TIME
- I don't know how to work this, but I need to watch less tv, or do more while I watch tv besides surf the internet. E watches plenty, so this will be hard. I think once we start having packing and house projects to do this will become easier!

4 comments:

  1. Don't cancel that gym membership -- get in there! :) Glad you had fun in SF. Really enjoyed meeting your friend here in NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good goals.. I think I waste money on stuff I really don't need (hence one my new life rules to try to get rid of stuff)
    Glad you got to meet up with friends in a GREAT city.. but it is always nice to come home..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you. I waste so much food. But I'm trying to buy just what I need for the day or two. The Chinese shop for their meal almost every night and I think I should take their lead.

    I'm going to San Francisco next week after the Chicago weekend. Do a little sightseeing and maybe go to Napa for some wine. Glad you're back on line. You go with your new goals. It seems to be better when we write this stuff down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Yana-I still struggle with the waste thing. It is difficult to get the food experience we want without some waste. I have improved but sometimes let the desire to taste win over the wastage.

    ReplyDelete