

So, the wedding was amazing. We went away for four nights to Aruba two days later and are hoping to take an extended honeymoon in the fall to Spain or Italy or Morocco.
A summary of weight loss and other things.
I started a new job in the spring of 2011. I was at my lowest weight, and way too tight. 215 lb.
I had an unfill and suffered esophageal spasms. I started to gain weight, went up to 245. I've pretty much stayed there ever since, playing with 5-8 lbs up and down. I started getting some tiny fills, lost a few pounds, but nothing real. Was commuting 2.5 hours a day at least, working like crazy, trying to impress someone who had just decided I was going to be a punching bag. He screamed, threw things, called me an idiot and a moron. I ate a lot. In the fall, I went to see a gyn who specializes in fertility, not that I was engaged or anything, but I had decided it was time to start getting ready to get pregnant. I've been diagnosed with PCOS and had SUPER irregular periods for so long, I knew it would be a challenge, so I wanted to start prepping. She gave me glucophage/metformin to start taking, and wanted me to have some tests and referred me to see an endocrinologist as well. Three days later I found I had a thyroid growth and possible thyroid cancer. Biopsy was negative. Given advice to have surgery but ended up with synthroid. This is really hard to admit, but I was TERRIBLE about taking it. I tried once, twice and both times I stopped after a few weeks. Don't know why...I would just miss a day, then another one and then stop. I know it's really important to take it every day. But I haven't been. I will be doing it starting tomorrow. I'm installing an app for my phone right now to inform me. I also never really started to take the glucophage, which I am also starting tomorrow.
During this time, we were still finishing up the renovation and furnishing of our new house. We had closed on a three family house in April of 2011, spent the summer doing a gut renovation, moved in tenants and did a HUGE renovation of our apartment. My husband is an architect, and it had to reflect his vision, so it looks amazing, but it was a LOT of work, done on a budget, which made it harder ;).
We moved into the house in September and had a housewarming in November. The next day, he proposed to me, and we got engaged. We decided to have a wedding at the end of February for a few reasons (we're not that young that we want a long engagement, his cousin was going to be getting married in the spring and the venues are all MUCH less expensive in the winter than the summer)
About six weeks before the wedding, my boss called me in, was his usual mean self, and threatened me: If you can't shape up, then maybe this isn't the place for you. I shocked him, because I told him he was right, I couldn't do any better than I was, and maybe he needed to let me go. This allowed me to collect unemployment instead of quitting. He was shocked, tried to backpedal, but I held him to it and was thrilled because I wanted to leave. He gave me a month to finish out. I went away for a few days to Jamaica with my girlfriends and the last day I hurt myself, acute baro-trauma, went deaf and was stuck in Jamaica for an extra 5 days by myself. I ended up getting a series of infections, had the ear drained, and an ear tube installed two days after my wedding. Wasn't able to go in the water on my honeymoon and suffered from impaired hearing for a few months, but I was recently tested and found that my hearing was almost back to normal and the tube was removed on Friday.
I've been gearing up to start my own business for the past few months, putting everything together. I've actually been working quite full time on it and doing reasonably well. I have a partner I really like and clients and it's a great feeling. Some of my old clients and contacts/referral sources have stayed with me, which is a great feeling.
What has been a resounding failure is my weight. I am at 246 as of yesterday. I also committed to taking my meds, seeing my doctors and getting back on that train. I want to be at 220 at most when I get pregnant. 26 lbs doesn't seem that far to go! Considering I eat pretty much whatever I like these days.
So, this morning I am sitting down to the computer and taking my Synthroid pill with a glass of lime water (I've been reading that drinking water with lemon/lime, especially first thing in the morning, is VERY good for you!) and will wait 30-60 minutes before I eat anything.
I am committing to doing this until the doctor tells me I don't have to anymore or I make a very conscious decision not to.
I've heard it's very bad to start/stop this med, which I've done twice, so I'm not going to do it again. I'm going to call the endocrinologist TODAY to schedule an appointment for blood tests in a month and an office visit to see the result.
Re the band: I've got an esophogram scheduled on Wednesday, and then an appointment with Dr. K. I will tell her how I've been eating, about having sporadic reflux, night coughs and night time vomiting (randomly, and it's never food, it's saliva and mucus). I VERY rarely PB during the day.
I've picked up some sloppy habits, drinking with my meals, snacking, taking a LONG time to eat so I have time to get it all in...nothing good here, folks!
I'm also getting E, who has a lap band but hasn't lost any weight in a while and has been with a practice whose practices I'm not at ALL pleased with, to transfer to NYU so he can see Dr. K. So this morning has been a cluster f%^&( of trying to get Medical Recorder there to send stuff to NYU. I've been trying for months. Finally called NYU, she suggested I tell them he has an appointment, but that practice couldn't find the requests I had faxed and mailed to them...so they will fax it to NYU if NYU makes the request. So I requested NYU to do that, let's see if it happens...
Re the fertility: I'm going to start taking the Glucophage today. 1 tablet with a meal in the latter part of the day for the first week, then add a second tablet at an earlier meal for a week, then add a third tablet the third week. I'm also going to go get a head MRI, per doctor's orders. Synthroid should help too. The goal is ovulation, cause apparently I'm not doing it on my own. If these things don't work, along with a weight loss this summer that I am hoping for, I think I move to Clomid in the fall. We'll see. I'll try and see the doctor next month after the MRI and after taking the Glucophage and Synthroid for a month or so.













Congratulations on your beautiful day-- what a beautiful dress, and you looked stunning and dramatic! (Who did your make-up, wow!)
ReplyDeleteGreat to know that you'll be seeing dr. k, let me know what she says and I hope that it helps.
Congrats! You look beautiful and happy!
ReplyDeletemuch happiness to you both!
ReplyDeleteYana...what a wonderful surprise.. you look beautiful and soooo happy.. best of luck to you and E!!!
ReplyDeleteWow Yana..you look fab!! Cograts to you both. the wedding looks like it was great fun :) Perhaps we will have to organize an online knitting class one of these days :). I am aiming to be in NY again in October. I will let you know when/if plans firm up.
ReplyDeletexxxooo
You look amazing - what a beautiful bride!! Congrats to you both! Looks like you guys had a great time!! xxx
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! You look amazing!
ReplyDeleteCongrats! :)
ReplyDeleteCongratulations to both of you. Your dress is fabulous! From the looks of these photos everyone had a blast. A lifetime of love and peace.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful, beautiful bride. Thanks for sharing these photos. I just love your dress, I think I would want something similar if I were to get married. It looks like you had a lovely day.
ReplyDeletexxoo
Great wedding photos! You look wonderful and so happy, and your dress is to die for!! Congratulations!!
ReplyDelete